Vice President, Human Resources
Grand Canyon Education (GCE) is an educational service company that provides an array of support services in the post-secondary education sector. Formerly part of Grand Canyon University (GCU), GCE still supports and works closely with GCU. GCE designs and develops educational programs for GCU and other traditional campus institutions, as well as online partner institutions at the undergraduate, graduate and doctoral levels.
Grand Canyon Education’s Human Resources department provides HR support to employees and applicants of GCE, its subsidiary, Orbis Education and partner, Grand Canyon University supporting over 13,000 employee nationwide. We are seeking an accomplished Human Resources executive to continue the execution of the HR strategy and operation plans for the three organizations to position them for continued growth. Reporting to the CEO, the VP of HR manages a high-performing team of 4 direct reports with over 90 staff in talent acquisition, employee relations, comp/benefits/HRIS and employee learning and development. This role is based at GCE’s Phoenix headquarters (27th Avenue/Camelback). The HR team currently works remotely, however, this position will be required to be onsite for scheduled meetings several times a month.
- Oversee all human resource functions including, Talent Acquisition and On-boarding processes, Diversity and Inclusion, Comp/Benefits/HRIS, Learning and Development, Policy, Compliance and Employee Relations, Engagement and Retention.
- Collaborate with the leadership team on organizational design and workforce planning to achieve desired business and culture objectives.
- Design and drive a DEI philosophy and strategy implementing programs to ensure the business develops and retains high quality talent to support strategic growth plans, opportunities and strategies of the business.
- Develop the HR strategic plans and annual budget; ensuring operations are managed within budget.
- Assess the competitiveness of all program and practices against comparable companies, industries and markets to ensure retention of top talent.
- Maintain in-depth knowledge of legal requirements, mitigating legal risks and ensure regulatory compliance; partner with legal to address issues.
- Seek and analyze data from a variety of sources to support decisions and to align others with the HR strategy.
- Evaluate the human resource structure and team to continually improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the group as well as provide individuals with professional and personal growth.
- Bachelor’s degree in human resources, Business Administration, or related field required; Masters and/or HR certification (SPHR/SHRM-SCP) a plus;
- 10+ years of progressive experience in Human Resources leadership roles;
- Deep knowledge of key HR functional areas (talent acquisition, comp/benefits administration, HRIS, performance management, employee relations, compliance, learning & development);
- Mission-driven individual with high energy, agility, and strong levels of perseverance; successful in fast-paced, dynamic, collaborative environments;
- Hands-on, results-oriented leader with a proven track record of successfully developing teams to their fullest potential;
- Credible and savvy businessperson with history of quickly building credibility & trust; high degree of professionalism, integrity, emotional intelligence and confidence;
- Highly articulate with strong interpersonal and influencing skills up, down and across the organization;
- Knowledgeable in leading edge HR practices & trends; a strong leader who influences change and transformation;
- Record of working independently; exercising excellent judgment/decision making, at times without complete information.
At Grand Canyon Education, it is our privilege to serve students and those who support academic advancement. We lead educational transformation by developing superior ways to help schools grow and prosper. We provide transparent programs, intuitive online learning technologies and well-established academic models that promote student success and institutional growth.
Employment is contingent upon the satisfactory outcome (as determined by the university) of pre-employment screening activities, including a background check.
For assistance with your job application please use our External Candidate Job Application Guide.
All staff candidates will be asked to review GCE’s staff expectations as part of the application process.
Our partner in education, Grand Canyon University, is Arizona’s premier private Christian university. GCU serves traditional and online students by offering quality academic degree programs, experienced leadership and transformative learning experiences both on our growing campus and digitally.