Travel Counselor (Travel Agent)
Grand Canyon Education, formerly part of Grand Canyon University, became its own entity in July 2018 after the Higher Learning Commission approved GCU’s application to become a nonprofit institution. GCE will work in close partnership with GCU. Moreover, many positions with GCE are located on GCU’s main campus.
Grand Canyon Education’s travel department is seeking a full time Travel Counselor. This position will report to the Director of Procurement and work Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. The position is responsible for coordinating all aspects of maintaining the corporate travel program for the university.
- Advise, research, book, and manage hotel, air, and car rental for GCU. Work to ensure travel is arranged efficiently and effectively.
- Communicate with traveler or internal customer to determine destination, mode of transportation, travel dates, financial considerations, and accommodations required all while assuring traveler satisfaction.
- Ensure implementation of cost saving measures through negotiation with travel service provider, arrangement of the most economic route, and appropriate itinerary.
- Create, maintain, and update traveler profiles
- Coordinate ground transportation via third parties as needed
- Monitor and ensure compliance with Travel Policy and Procedures
- Network with industry professionals and remain current with travel industry operations
- Complete other duties as assigned.
- Some college required, Bachelor’s degree highly preferred.
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience with Native Sabre GDS.
- Minimum of 5 years’ travel industry relevant (agent, counselor, etc.) experience.
- Must have the ability to use critical thinking skills.
- Working with Athletic departments highly desirable.
- Extensive experience with car, hotel and air reservations.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Good analytical skills.
- Ability to work both independently and in a team environment.
- Self-motivated with sound reasoning and judgment.
- Strong customer service skills with good communications skills and ability work effectively with culturally-diverse individuals.
- Ability to work with employees at all levels within the organization and maintain confidentiality of information.
- Proficiency with MS Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook), and ability to work with software databases in a web-based environment, create and retrieve reports.
- Ability to adapt to a fast-paced, continually changing work environment and manage multiple priorities effectively.
- Ability to complete work within prescribed time constraints and meet deadlines.
- Provide a positive example to students by supporting the University’s Doctrinal Statement, Ethical Position Statement and Mission of Grand Canyon University.
At Grand Canyon Education, it is our privilege to serve students and those who support academic advancement. We lead educational transformation by developing superior ways to help schools grow and prosper. We provide transparent programs, intuitive online learning technologies and well-established academic models that promote student success and institutional growth.
Employment is contingent upon the satisfactory outcome (as determined by the university) of pre-employment screening activities, including a background check.
For assistance with your job application please use our External Candidate Job Application Guide.
All staff candidates will be asked to review GCE’s staff expectations as part of the application process.
Our partner in education, Grand Canyon University, is Arizona’s premier private Christian university. GCU serves traditional and online students by offering quality academic degree programs, experienced leadership and transformative learning experiences both on our growing campus and digitally.