Student Service Counselor
Student Service Counselor - Online Division
Grand Canyon Education (GCE) is an educational service company that provides an array of support services in the post-secondary education sector. Formerly part of Grand Canyon University (GCU), GCE still supports and works closely with GCU. GCE designs and develops educational programs for GCU and other traditional campus institutions, as well as online partner institutions at the undergraduate, graduate and doctoral levels.
Grand Canyon Education is seeking a Student Services Counselor to support Grand Canyon University’s Online Division to work directly with our current and prospective online students to advise them on degree program requirements, course selection and the financial aid application process. Your positive demeanor, passion for helping students and ability to work in a fast-paced, telephone-based environment are powerful skills toward ensuring both your success and the student’s success.
- Counsels continuing students and/or parents regarding University policy and procedures, registration, progression requirements (focused on graduation date expedition) and payment options (focused on responsible borrowing), provides assistance to continuing students regarding policies and procedures and ensures students’ progress through programmatic milestones.
- Collects all required paperwork and documents for progression requirements and selected payment options (including financial aid reapplication).
- Financially clears students, ensuring all matters are appropriately attended to well in advance of a course start, incorporating funding strategies as needed to keep students in attendance, progressing toward their scheduled graduation date.
- Ensures all matters or issues related to academic compliance are attended to and/or resolved well in advance of a course start, incorporating intervention strategies, as needed, to keep students in attendance, progressing toward their scheduled graduation date.
- Monitors student schedules to ensure only applicable courses related to degree are selected and satisfactory academic performance is achieved.
- Serves as a student advocate to navigate through university policy and procedure.
- Works closely with cross functional and support departments to update student information and to resolve student issues.
- Adheres to all University and/or DOE policies, procedures and compliance guidelines.
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution
- At least 1 year previous experience in customer service and problem solving.
- The ability to comprehend facts and relay information to students.
- Superior customer service skills along with ability to represent the GCU brand in a highly professional manner.
- Proficiency with MS Office suite, (Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint) and comfortable with navigating and maneuvering other databases and software becoming proficient with GCU systems within a short period of time.
- Excellent communications with a good command of the English language and interpersonal skills with the ability to influence and persuade.
- Ability to work in a high-volume, fast-paced work environment with constant phone or in-person contact with students on a daily basis.
- Excellent planning, organizational, multi-tasking, case-management and follow up skills.
- Good attention to detail and analytical.
- Good time management skills in order to meet required timelines.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively and cooperatively as a team member and willing to learn and work other student services’ functions.
- Cannot be delinquent or in default on a federal student loan as verified in your credit report. If in a rehabilitation program, your credit report must reflect that you are current, not delinquent, on your payments.
- Provide a positive example to students by supporting the University’s Doctrinal Statement, Ethical Position Statement and Mission of Grand Canyon University.
Starting Salary: $43,000 a year
At Grand Canyon Education, it is our privilege to serve students and those who support academic advancement. We lead educational transformation by developing superior ways to help schools grow and prosper. We provide transparent programs, intuitive online learning technologies and well-established academic models that promote student success and institutional growth.
Employment is contingent upon the satisfactory outcome (as determined by the university) of pre-employment screening activities, including a background check.
Only candidates who submit a resume and complete the full application will be considered - anyone without a resume will be declined automatically. For assistance with your job application please use our External Candidate Job Application Guide.
All staff candidates will be asked to review GCE’s staff expectations as part of the application process.
Our partner in education, Grand Canyon University, is Arizona’s premier private Christian university. GCU serves traditional and online students by offering quality academic degree programs, experienced leadership and transformative learning experiences both on our growing campus and digitally.
If you’re interested in working for Grand Canyon University, visit jobs.gcu.edu.
For more information about Grand Canyon Education, Inc., visit gce.com