Grand Canyon Education (GCE) is an educational service company that provides an array of support services in the post-secondary education sector. Formerly part of Grand Canyon University (GCU), GCE still supports and works closely with GCU. GCE designs and develops educational programs for GCU and other traditional campus institutions, as well as online partner institutions at the undergraduate, graduate and doctoral levels.
Grand Canyon Education’s Marketing department is seeking a full time Sr Copywriter. This role is for writing technical and creative copy, establishing the voice and tone of marketing and promotional pieces, including print, digital, mobile, collateral materials, internal and external corporate publications; television and radio production. The Senior Copywriter teams up with the art directors to act as a liaison between marketing services and digital department management teams, works with the creative team and reports directly to the Senior Creative Manager.
The Senior Copywriter will work on the day-to-day creative work for the core business functions, as well as work on more comprehensive projects in collaboration with the creative team. This is currently the top level of copywriter.
In order to be considered all candidates must attach writing samples to their application.
- Demonstrates high-level conceptual thinking and identifies gaps in content in order to offer up solutions and pitch ideas to the Senior Creative Manager and other key stakeholders in Marketing
- Writes short and long form copy for a variety of mediums, styles and tones for many clients with thought to marketing objectives
- Researches features, benefits and unique selling points in order to write convincing copy with a clear call-to-action
- Creates unique product names and researches name availability for trademarking
- Capitalizes on emerging trends, pop culture and universal truths to create engaging brand storytelling
- Works with Compliance to meet all regulatory guidelines
- Uses Workamajig project management software to submit and manage work
- Helps shape messaging and ensures that all copy is on brand, voice and tone
- Bachelor’s degree required with a major in journalism, communications, marketing or an English emphasis
- Ability to develop concepts through execution
- A minimum of 7 years direct writing and editing experience in a creative service, marketing or advertising environment preferred
- Proven experience (portfolio) of writing for a variety of audiences
- An equivalent combination of education and relevant work experience and education may be substituted upon supervisor’s approval
- Ability to write in a clear, concise, engaging and readable manner
- Knowledge of AP style, command of the English language and exceptional proofing/copy editing skills
- Ability to brainstorm and ideate independently as well as within a creative team
- Experience writing for digital platforms such as email, banners, websites and social media
- Familiarity with pitch decks and concept presentations as well as storyboards, treatments and scriptwriting
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to build and maintain cooperative working relationships with people of various viewpoints, cultural backgrounds and skill levels
- Effective communication and listening skills
- Strong proofing/copy editing skills
- Curiosity to discover key features and benefits to distill these into unique selling points
- Experience with product naming and trademarking/ability to research name availability
- Experience working with legal, compliance or regulatory departments
- Excellent planning and organizing skills with the ability to manage concurrent multiple projects or events
- Good time management skills with the ability to work independently
- Computer proficiency utilizing software such as MS Office Suite, email, internet, blog software, etc., and a familiarity with social media platforms
- Experience with Workamajig or other project management tool
- Willingness to work evenings, weekends or holidays when necessary
- Must be able to pass a pre-employment background check.
- Provide a positive example to students by supporting the University’s Doctrinal Statement, Ethical Position Statement and Mission of Grand Canyon University.
- In order to be considered all candidates must attach writing samples to their application.
At Grand Canyon Education, it is our privilege to serve students and those who support academic advancement. We lead educational transformation by developing superior ways to help schools grow and prosper. We provide transparent programs, intuitive online learning technologies and well-established academic models that promote student success and institutional growth.
Employment is contingent upon the satisfactory outcome (as determined by the university) of pre-employment screening activities, including a background check.
For assistance with your job application please use our External Candidate Job Application Guide.
All staff candidates will be asked to review GCE’s staff expectations as part of the application process.
Our partner in education, Grand Canyon University, is Arizona’s premier private Christian university. GCU serves traditional and online students by offering quality academic degree programs, experienced leadership and transformative learning experiences both on our growing campus and digitally.