Quality Assurance Technician - AZ Remote Opportunity
Grand Canyon Education (GCE) is an educational service company that provides an array of support services in the post-secondary education sector. Formerly part of Grand Canyon University (GCU), GCE still supports and works closely with GCU. GCE designs and develops educational programs for GCU and other traditional campus institutions, as well as online partner institutions at the undergraduate, graduate and doctoral levels.
Grand Canyon Education is hiring for a Quality Assurance Technician. This role serves as a functional and automated testing specialist for the learning management system and its related integrations. Ensures that all software applications meet customer specifications; analyzes data to determine specific types of quality problems the customer is experiencing. Writes and implements test and inspection procedures to obtain the defect information needed for analysis, and reports findings from test and inspection data to management. On a proactive basis, tests new versions of internet browsers prior to widespread use to identify and resolve compatibility issues.
While this position is a Phoenix, AZ based role, we are in an indefinitely remote status. There may be department meetings or trainings that require in-person attendance (proper health and safety measures will be followed), in which advance notice will be provided.
- Defines and implements quality assurance practices and procedures for projects.
- Assists with the development of test automation used in verifying conformity to functional requirements, web standards and accessibility standards.
- Responsible for establishing, maintaining and auditing the QA process for software projects.
- Receives requests for software testing due to upgrades and maintenance or new applications.
- Analyzes, designs and prepares data requirements for test execution.
- Creates, executes and maintains quality assurance test plans based on technical and/or business requirements.
- Designs and develops quality assurance test scripts and plan to aid in the quality assurance process. Implements, tests, debugs and maintains test scripts.
- Provides task dependencies, priorities and time estimates.
- Responsible for understanding both the business objectives and the technical implementation of GCU’s websites and its applications.
- Meets with developers or users to understand the nature of the testing required and documents requirements of testing.
- Assists with the creation, organization, and maintenance of a comprehensive test plan library.
- Researches quality assurance standards and makes recommendations to management with regard to improving QA processes.
- Informs production team of quality assurance results and verifies changes ready to be put into production.
- Analyzes and optimizes the quality assurance testing tools and processes through continuous improvement.
- Stays current on changing and updated trends, software upgrades, new internet browser products and/or versions, etc.
- Minimum of two years of experience testing web applications or Bachelor’s Degree in Information Technology field.
- Solid understanding of Windows and MacOS operating systems as well as web applications.
- Ability to quickly learn and apply learnings into use.
- Ability to write clear and concise problem reports and test results.
- Ability to interpret SQL codes to troubleshoot and write SQL queries.
- Must have a customer-focus and service orientation.
- Creative solving of technical problems; ability to translate technical requirements into test plans.
- Ability to focus on deadlines and deliverables to find the bad defects and bugs quickly.
- Skill in oral and written communication; ability to be concise and clear in verbal communication and to express technical findings and recommendations in an understandable manner.
- Experience working with automation testing frameworks or tools, experience using Selenium is preferred.
- Basic understanding of QA automation design patterns and the ability to teach these patterns to others.
- Familiarity with CI/CD concepts and best practices including build and source control automation tools like Jenkins and GIT.
- Familiarity with W3C Web Content Accessibility Guidelines.
- Ability to effectively interpret technical and business objectives and challenges.
- Ability to think abstractly and deal with ambiguous/under-defined problems.
- Strong attention to detail; ability to remain focused on repetitive tasks during testing to ensure all bugs are discovered.
- Ability to develop a project/task plan which handles interdependencies to meet all deadlines.
- Knowledge of Unix/Linux environments.
- Extensive knowledge of internet technologies.
- Proficient coding skills.
- Provide a positive example to students by supporting the University’s Doctrinal Statement, Ethical Position Statement and Mission of Grand Canyon University.
At Grand Canyon Education, it is our privilege to serve students and those who support academic advancement. We lead educational transformation by developing superior ways to help schools grow and prosper. We provide transparent programs, intuitive online learning technologies and well-established academic models that promote student success and institutional growth.
Employment is contingent upon the satisfactory outcome (as determined by the university) of pre-employment screening activities, including a background check.
For assistance with your job application please use our External Candidate Job Application Guide.
All staff candidates will be asked to review GCE’s staff expectations as part of the application process.
Our partner in education, Grand Canyon University, is Arizona’s premier private Christian university. GCU serves traditional and online students by offering quality academic degree programs, experienced leadership and transformative learning experiences both on our growing campus and digitally.