PHP Back End Web Developer
Grand Canyon Education, formerly part of Grand Canyon University, became its own entity in July 2018 after the Higher Learning Commission approved GCU’s application to become a nonprofit institution. GCE will work in close partnership with GCU. Moreover, many positions with GCE are located on GCU’s main campus.
Grand Canyon Education is seeking a PHP Back End Web Developer. This position reports to the Back-End Web Development Manager and works collaboratively with various members within the marketing and IT departments, including web designers, front-end developers, digital marketing specialists, assigned marketing partners, Linux administrators and database administrators, all while executing and overseeing back-end development throughout GCU’s web properties. The back-end web developer tests and executes strategies for web enhancements resulting in improved user experiences, increased rankings and overall implementation of web marketing plans which support GCU’s total marketing strategy. Web marketing refers to marketing efforts that use GCU’s website properties, which are leveraged to promote the University’s educational services and objectives.
- Authors new back-end systems ensuring optimum performance and maintainability.
- Collaborates with front-end developers in development of new and existing web services and server rendered pages.
- Collaborates with Quality Assurance Specialist in development of new and existing functional test sites.
- Collaborates with Linux Administrators in deploying new software and configuration.
- Collaborates with Database Administrators on deploying schema updates and overall database performance.
- Builds functionality with reusable code and authors new libraries with a focus on future reusability.
- Assists with the development of test automation used in verifying conformity of back-end code to functional requirements, web standards, and accessibility standards.
- Assists with the development of automation and orchestration of the physical Linux environment.
- Assists in the gathering of requirements and development of documentation surrounding web development projects.
- Assists in project planning and execution throughout the entire software development lifecycle.
- Analyzes, reviews and modifies web functionality by maintaining, documenting, testing, developing and monitoring various forms of data and functionality.
- Embraces change and strongly supports the idea and concept of continuous, life-time learning where it relates to web functionality and performance.
- Build robust and scalable software in PHP, MySQL, Symfony and Drupal frameworks.
- Design and create services and system architecture for your projects, and contribute and provide feedback to other team members
- Improve code quality through writing unit tests, automation and performing code reviews
- Participate in brainstorming sessions and contribute ideas to our technology, algorithms and delivered applications
- Work with stakeholder groups’ to understand end-user requirements, formulate use cases, and then translate that into a pragmatic and effective technical solution
- Dive into difficult problems and successfully deliver results on schedule
- Contribute to all aspects of a project: requirements gathering, service development, front-end development, data design, overall architecture, QA, and/or server setup and administration.
- Serve as a guide and arbiter of good architecture throughout the course of a project.
- Provide constructive design and code review for other engineers, both in-house and freelance.
- Assist project managers and other team leads in keeping projects on schedule and on budget.
- Identify potential problems and edge cases, and help engineers develop test plans which account for these risks.
- Collaborate with other technology teams on development of shared tools and integration with the Tools platform.
- Effectively communicate project implications and blockers in a clear and timely manner to manager and stakeholders
- Bachelor’s degree in a related discipline (computer science, information technology, etc.) from a regionally accredited institution and minimum of 2 years of experience building web applications.
- 3 years’ of work experience building web applications with an unrelated bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution.
- 4 years’ of work experience building web applications with an associate’s degree from an accredited institution.
- 2+ years of experience using PHP and MySQL to build dynamic websites or web applications.
- 1+ years of experience with Symfony or Laravel frameworks.
- 1+ years of experience working on a team using agile methodologies.
- 1+ years of experience working on a team utilizing GIT for source code management.
- Strong knowledge of object oriented PHP programming and generic object oriented principles.
- Strong knowledge of one or more PHP frameworks such as Symfony 2+ and/or Laravel.
- Solid understanding of architectural patterns such as MVC, Onion and Hexagonal.
- Proficiency with using and creating MySQL databases and SQL syntax.
- Familiarity with user authentication and authorization between multiple systems, servers, and environments.
- Proficiency using GIT for source code management.
- Proficiency at using browser development tools within each major browser.
- Solid understanding and experience in application security from the web service and web application perspective.
- In-depth knowledge of internet protocols.
- Solid understanding of Linux operating systems, Linux command line and bash scripting.
- Provide a positive example to students by supporting the University’s Doctrinal Statement, Ethical Position Statement and Mission of Grand Canyon University.
At Grand Canyon Education, it is our privilege to serve students and those who support academic advancement. We lead educational transformation by developing superior ways to help schools grow and prosper. We provide transparent programs, intuitive online learning technologies and well-established academic models that promote student success and institutional growth.
Employment is contingent upon the satisfactory outcome (as determined by the university) of pre-employment screening activities, including a background check.
Only candidates who submit a resume and complete the full application will be considered - anyone without a resume will be declined automatically. For assistance with your job application please use our External Candidate Job Application Guide.
All staff candidates will be asked to review GCE’s staff expectations as part of the application process.
Our partner in education, Grand Canyon University, is Arizona’s premier private Christian university. GCU serves traditional and online students by offering quality academic degree programs, experienced leadership and transformative learning experiences both on our growing campus and digitally.
If you’re interested in working for Grand Canyon University, visit jobs.gcu.edu.
For more information about Grand Canyon Education, Inc., visit gce.com