Online Division Admissions Counselor
ESSENTIAL DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES: Include, but not are limited to, the following:
- Contacts inquiring online prospects via the telephone in a timely manner, informing them about the University and its programs (Inbound and outbound calls, minimum of 3 hours talk time per day)
- Provides necessary steps for prospective to receive a pre-evaluation
- Represents GCU as an educated advisor, familiar with higher education and assists students through the various steps as part of their decision-making process
- Shares knowledge of University processes and procedures for admission, transfer credit evaluation, etc.
- Stays up to date on policy and procedural changes, incorporating those changes into daily operations as established by the University’s Employee Development department and Management
- Determines if the University has a program that will meet the prospect’s needs by listening, probing, recognizing and considering the needs of the prospect and GCU’s degrees
- Appropriately directs prospects to a program that will meet the prospect’s needs and answers any questions they may have about program requirements, transfer credits, admission guidelines, etc.
- Communicates GCU’s values, benefits and differentiating features to prospects in a professional and academically-oriented manner
- Discusses payment options and answers questions to help the student make an informed decision about how to pay for school
- Anticipates potential concerns of qualified prospects and/or students and takes the appropriate action to alleviate or troubleshoot them
- Serves as the primary point of contact to a student who has applied and is in their first academic year at the University
- Clearly explains and guides students through the Online Learning platform so they can utilize the system with ease
- Accurately shares university expectations to ensure the long-term success of enrolled students
- Communicates and helps student use the services GCU provides to help them progress through the program
- Serves as a member of a graduation team
- Communicates and strategizes with graduation teammates to make sure student needs are met and addressed in a timely manner
- Maintains professional demeanor with all internal and external stakeholders, communicating appropriately with all parties
- Monitors student activity in the classroom and other established benchmarks to ensure academic progression
- Achieves daily, weekly and monthly goals, as defined by supervisor and department objectives.
- Adheres to all regulatory compliance guidelines, such as FERPA.
- Other duties as assigned.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: None
QUALIFICATIONS: The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required to successfully perform the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
* Exemplary communication skills, including verbal and written.
- Excellent interpersonal and presentation skills with strong constituency building skill.
- Action and results oriented, self-starter, self- directed and self -motivated with an entrepreneurial quality; ability to work independently.
- Good negotiation and persuasiveness skills.
- Must be successful in closing potential students.
- Research and lead generation building skills with effective follow-up.
- Must be a strong player with excellent planning and organizational skills in order to meet or exceed enrollment projections and expectations.
- Knowledge of higher-learning environments and programs.
- Computer/office software proficiency including MS Office Suite.
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree (highly preferred in marketing, education or business administration) OR 2 years’ related experience with a least 60 college credits completed.
- Prefer experience in higher education and/or a learning environment which involved daily interaction with students.
- Cannot be delinquent or in default on a federal student laon as verified in your credit report. If in a rehabilitation program, your credit report must reflect that you are current, not delinquent, on your payments.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/ENVIRONMENT: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation(s) may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The following physical demands are estimated by the amount of time spent. Usually, the amount of time spent will be estimated on a daily basis, but depending on the position could be estimated on a weekly basis or a monthly basis.
Constantly: 60%+ or 5-8 hrs/shift Occasionally: 10%-25% or 1-2 hrs/shift
Frequently: 25%-60% or 4-5 hrs/shift Rarely: <10% or less than 2 hrs/shift
- Work can be characterized as more than 50% sedentary in an office call center environment.
- Work can be characterized as constantly on phone with students.
- Work requires counselor to interact on frequent basis with other graduation team members, office of academic records and management daily.
- Work requires reliable, consistent attendance to handle student/lead database.
- Constantly requires the ability to communicate in order to persuade or influence; to relay complex instructions and information, advice and guidance which may be accomplished through electronic means such as a telephone, video conferencing, web meeting, or face-to-face.
- Work frequently requires the ability to use a personal computer and/or similar machine and related software which includes using a QWERTY keyboard requiring use of hands, fingers, forearms, shoulders and neck.
- Work frequently requires the ability to view, interpret, compare and assess information presented on a computer monitor or similar display.
- Work rarely requires lifting and carrying up to 30 pounds.
- Frequently involves active listening in order to assess and understand and decode information from customers, prospects and staff in order to act quickly.
- Frequently involves reading documents or material distributed and received by electronic means, via text or IM.
- Constantly requires mental acuity and critical thinking for planning, organizing, assessing information; multi-tasking; use judgment; formulate recommendations; and problem solving.
- On a daily basis, uses mental agility and acuity to interpret and analyze data and draw inferences and conclusions; and cognitive ability to assess situations to determine the best possible course of action and the type and amount of chemicals to use; problem solving; and to address students’, contacts’ or staff’s issues, concerns, schedules, disputes, customer problems, and the like.
At Grand Canyon Education, it is our privilege to serve students and those who support academic advancement. We lead educational transformation by developing superior ways to help schools grow and prosper. We provide transparent programs, intuitive online learning technologies and well-established academic models that promote student success and institutional growth.
Employment is contingent upon the satisfactory outcome (as determined by the university) of pre-employment screening activities, including a background check.
Only candidates who submit a resume and complete the full application will be considered - anyone without a resume will be declined automatically. For assistance with your job application please use our External Candidate Job Application Guide.
All staff candidates will be asked to review GCE’s staff expectations as part of the application process.
Our partner in education, Grand Canyon University, is Arizona’s premier private Christian university. GCU serves traditional and online students by offering quality academic degree programs, experienced leadership and transformative learning experiences both on our growing campus and digitally.
If you’re interested in working for Grand Canyon University, visit jobs.gcu.edu.
For more information about Grand Canyon Education, Inc., visit gce.com
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: R000022462