Grand Canyon Education, formerly part of Grand Canyon University, became its own entity in July 2018 after the Higher Learning Commission approved GCU’s application to become a nonprofit institution. GCE will work in close partnership with GCU. Moreover, many positions with GCE are located on GCU’s main campus.
Grand Canyon University’s Marketing department is seeing a full time Photographer. This position serves as the university/staff photographer in support of a wide range of online and print communications efforts and is responsible for producing a wide variety of creative, high-quality images of people, structures, and events for the university’s web sites and various external and internal advertisements and publications.
*Submit a link or attachment to an online portfolio to be considered.
- Provides photographic services primarily for use of the marketing department to fulfill specific internal client requests. These shoots may occur on-location, off-site or in studio; produces images in a wide variety of disciplines to support the University’s promotional, marketing, public relations, athletics, communications and student activities.
- Provides direction, work assignments and coaching to less experienced employees and/or student workers.
- Attends and participates in preproduction meetings where creative direction and planning originates, project-related coordination meetings to understand the purpose, concept and requirements of upcoming photo shoots.
- Works collaboratively with clients to create shot-lists and other strategies for upcoming photo shoots to achieve the necessary quality and collaborates with the creative team on ideas and executional strategies.
- Inspects locations and determines best angles, positioning of subjects, lighting, backgrounds
- Arranges shooting schedules, schedules staff, freelance photographers (in conjunction with creative director and marketing managers) and other resources, sets up appropriate equipment for the type and subject of the photo shoot and ensure project timelines are met. Manages any vendor contracts, such as equipment rental vendors.
- Takes multiple photographs as part of each assignment to provide editors, writers and others with options, and enhancing the quality of digital images as appropriate to prepare them for publication.
- Utilizes image asset database, tags images correctly for search-ability by all departments on campus for historical, existing and new or future images.
- Reviews expenditures with creative director.
- Conducts post-production image editing, and prepares files for cataloging.
- Maintains accurate logs of sites and subjects photographed; establishes and maintains archives.
- Works within an online request form and scheduling system for photography shoots; manages the photo requests, project lists and calendar for the photography needs of the company in a timely manner.
- Manages list of freelance photographers with various levels of expertise when outsourcing is necessary.
- Stays current with the latest technologies in photography and editing software in order to suggest and provide expert advice with regard to new hardware and software acquisition.
- Travels locally, out of town, out of state which may require overnight stays.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university in Photography, Photojournalism, Fine Arts or a related area preferred.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience doing various types of photography with natural and studio lighting including athletics/sports, environmental and architectural, candid’s, images of objects, on-location, crow shots, etc. plus 1 year supervisory experience.
- Demonstrated expertise in producing quality digital photography for a wide range of subjects and live events.
- Advanced knowledge and proficiency with Photoshop software suite or similar and editing software. Proficiency with Adobe is helpful but not required.
- Proficient with MAC OSX platform with basic computer skills with MS Office, Internet, Web Browsers, email, etc.
- Knowledgeable of conventional photo developing techniques and photofinishing.
- Must be physically able to capture shots which may involve climbing to reach heights and/or moving body in laying or bending positions; all requiring mental and physical reflexes to capture moving and fluctuating images.
- Ability to work with natural, strobe flash and studio lighting to produce high-quality images that require minimal editing.
- Able to work with minimal supervision and meet deadlines.
- Ability to accept constructive criticism and/or rejection of photos with a positive attitude.
- Outstanding and positive interpersonal and communications skills in order to work collaboratively, harmoniously and professionally with a wide variety of people, staff, vendors, contract staff and other external contacts.
- Must be comfortable working with and/or directing high-profile subjects.
- As an ambassador of the University, must reflect and portray the University’s image and culture.
- Ability to deal with the unexpected in a calm and professional manner, including when working conditions and lighting levels are less than ideal and limited time is available.
- Must be able to cope with changing priorities effectively.
- Resourceful with excellent problem solving and critical thinking skills.
- Valid U.S. driver’s license and a good driving record.
- Reliable transportation in order to drive to and from various off-site locations.
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule which includes nights, weekends and holidays.
- Ability to develop graphic artwork in a variety of media to support publication requirements is helpful, but not required.
- Provide a positive example to students by supporting the University’s Doctrinal Statement, Ethical Position Statement and Mission of Grand Canyon University.
- Submit a link or attachment to an online portfolio to be considered.
At Grand Canyon Education, it is our privilege to serve students and those who support academic advancement. We lead educational transformation by developing superior ways to help schools grow and prosper. We provide transparent programs, intuitive online learning technologies and well-established academic models that promote student success and institutional growth.
Employment is contingent upon the satisfactory outcome (as determined by the university) of pre-employment screening activities, including a background check.
Only candidates who submit a resume and complete the full application will be considered - anyone without a resume will be declined automatically. For assistance with your job application please use our External Candidate Job Application Guide.
All staff candidates will be asked to review GCE’s staff expectations as part of the application process.
Our partner in education, Grand Canyon University, is Arizona’s premier private Christian university. GCU serves traditional and online students by offering quality academic degree programs, experienced leadership and transformative learning experiences both on our growing campus and digitally.
If you’re interested in working for Grand Canyon University, visit jobs.gcu.edu.
For more information about Grand Canyon Education, Inc., visit gce.com
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: R000018657-1