Marketing Event Planner
Grand Canyon Education, formerly part of Grand Canyon University, became its own entity in July 2018 after the HLC approved GCU’s application to become a nonprofit institution. GCE will work in close partnership with GCU. Moreover, many positions with GCE are located on GCU’s main campus.
Grand Canyon University is currently seeking a Marketing Event Planner. This position has responsibility for handling all aspects of an event/meeting requested by the various constituents in GCU for whom they serve. The event planner provides advice on how to best design the event to achieve the required business goal. Position will require occasional weekends, holidays, evenings and/or early mornings.
- Becomes a strategic partner with the enrollment division(s)’ management and representatives to understand strategic business objectives and vision and advises, recommends, and identifies potential opportunities for events that will positively impact business goals.
- Ensures marketing’s event planning services are fully integrated into the Enrollment Divisions’ teams for key events.
- Provides overall event strategy and choreography for events.
- Provides ideas and insight on best ways to market events and works with others in the marketing department to execute approved ideas.
- Gathers information on each project to achieve quality event productions managing all aspects of the event from location and food to marketing materials and displays.
- Conducts research, site visitation and finds resources to help staff make decisions about event possibilities.
- Oversees launches of events and ensures flawless execution; coordinates and monitors event timelines and ensures deadlines are met. Maintains logistical accountability of events.
- Ensures compatibility of event or project plans to overall company and business strategy; proposes new ideas to improve the event planning and implementation process.
- Evaluates event effectiveness and creates ROI metrics for management decision making.
- Leads various event planning meetings with pertinent staff including EVPs. Provides projections of potential costs and benefits of events through careful analysis.
- Plans and executes all logistical aspects of internal and external events. Researches site locations and conducts site visits/inspections for suitability and capability of vendors.
- Prepares requests for vendor bids and reviews bids for competitiveness; negotiates site and service contracts for facilities, signage, security, transportation, lodging, food, entertainment and related activities.
- Ensures compliance to budget, expenses and reconciliations on a per event and per team basis.
- Develops and implements project and communications plans, identifies problems and focuses on bringing issues to resolution and ensures development of contingency plans and arrangements. Proactively escalates potential client or program issues to management for timely resolution.
- Interacts with various management levels and delivers presentations on project goals and plans, including progress reports.
- Ensures adherence to company strategy and initiatives, corporate brand and messaging standards; collaborates with subject matter experts to ensure accuracy and compliance.
- Plans successful outcomes and ensures all details are arranged proactively and within timelines.
- Travels as needed to provide on-site assistance for assigned events; assists with managing on-site production and clean-up for events as necessary. Reviews UDRs performance and competitors where applicable.
- Ensures all events planned are entered into event database.
- Arranges events on short notice ensuring the same delivery of quality and service.
- Provides unparalleled client service and experience.
- Responsible for creation of training materials in video and written form to ensure UDRs are following the intended event set-up and branding standards for the university. Training materials should also help guide the actions of the UDRs while staffing events.
- Produces reporting and analysis for assigned verticals
- Bachelor’s degree in hospitality management, communications, public relations, event promotion or marketing or a related discipline from a regionally accredited institution.
- An equivalent combination of education, training and relevant work experience from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved may be substituted upon supervisor’s approval.
- Three (3) years directly related and progressively responsible work experience planning and organizing large or complex events, preferably in a university or college environment.
- Proven advanced event planning and organizing/project management skills for large and complex events as well as smaller venues.
- Highly capable of successfully coordinating multiple projects simultaneously within budget and within designated timelines.
- Excellent written and verbal communications and proofreading skills with a good command of the English language.
- High degree of professionalism with ability to work under stressful situations and tight deadlines.
- Creative, detail oriented and a resourceful problem solver.
- Critical thinking and analytical skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship building skills and ability to work with diverse groups of individuals.
- Extremely organized, flexible and have the ability to continually reset priorities.
- Proactive with outstanding customer service skills.
- Ability to effectively engage others who support key events and develop collaborative teams.
- Knowledge of social media platforms.
- Proficient with MS Office software programs including PowerPoint, Word and Excel.
- Proficient with event management software or event booking software.
- Must be willing to occasionally work weekends, holidays, evenings and/or early mornings as needed.
- Up to 25% travel, including potential overnight travel, which could include weekends.
- Provide a positive example to students by supporting the University’s Doctrinal Statement, Ethical Position Statement and Mission of Grand Canyon University.
At Grand Canyon Education, it is our privilege to serve students and those who support academic advancement. We lead educational transformation by developing superior ways to help schools grow and prosper. We provide transparent programs, intuitive online learning technologies and well-established academic models that promote student success and institutional growth.
Employment is contingent upon the satisfactory outcome (as determined by the university) of pre-employment screening activities, including a background check.
Only candidates who submit a resume and complete the full application will be considered - anyone without a resume will be declined automatically. For assistance with your job application please use our External Candidate Job Application Guide.
All staff candidates will be asked to review GCE’s staff expectations as part of the application process.
Our partner in education, Grand Canyon University, is Arizona’s premier private Christian university. GCU serves traditional and online students by offering quality academic degree programs, experienced leadership and transformative learning experiences both on our growing campus and digitally.
If you’re interested in working for Grand Canyon University, visit jobs.gcu.edu.
For more information about Grand Canyon Education, Inc., visit gce.com
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: R000019161