Manager, Consumer and Competitive Research
Grand Canyon Education (GCE) is an educational service company that provides an array of support services in the post-secondary education sector. Formerly part of Grand Canyon University (GCU), GCE still supports and works closely with GCU. GCE designs and develops educational programs for GCU and other traditional campus institutions, as well as online partner institutions at the undergraduate, graduate and doctoral levels.
Grand Canyon Education continues to grow and is adding a new Manager of Consumer and Competitive Research. This position supports the university’s marketing and strategic efforts through research on students, universities, and companies in the higher education industry, analyzing the competitive environment and its intersection with relevant demographic, economic, and societal data. Under direction of the department head, handles every phase of projects involving externally-sourced data - everything from data gathering to report creation to presentation and delivery - to GCE’s clients and partners.
- Manages a team of research analysts and student workers who specialize in either competitive or consumer research
- Holds others accountable to established performance levels to achieve department goals.
- Oversees the process between Marketing, Compliance, and company-wide clients to research and approve publicly releasable data and statistics
- Organizes and maintains current research projects and other requests held by various members of the research team
- Oversees the enrollment projection process for new degree programs under consideration at partner universities, which includes working collaboratively with other marketing teams (Affiliate/PPC/Web) and other departments which are involved in the modeling process.
- Provides data to determine the viability of newly proposed degree programs by analyzing data from competitor institutions, projected enrollment, relevant career data, and programmatic details (tuition, time to completion, etc.)
- Maintains, updates and ensures accuracy of the internal database, which is used to report on job-related trends related to growth and income of degree programs.
- Builds relevant data reports from government websites (IPEDS, ELSI) which match partner universities’ demographics/parameters to describe trends in student body populations at both secondary and postsecondary institutions
- Responsible for ongoing development of an open-source intelligence database collecting volumes of data from education, government, and industry websites for the purpose of robust market competitive analysis; ensures database is continuously updated for usage by other teams responsible for marketing research data
- Creates and delivers on-demand reports detailing financial analysis benchmarking of competitor institutions via publicly available data (earnings calls, annual financial disclosure reports) and other market data reports on higher education trends.
- Attends both inter-departmental and client-facing meetings to deliver report findings as well as provide insight, suggestions and assistance with research projects
- Ensures the accuracy of data and reports while providing suggestions for improvements on future reports
- Applies broad-based knowledge of consumer behavior marketing principles and techniques in developing trend analysis reports for marketing strategies and initiatives
- Analyzes a wide range of information, including demographics, socio-economic factors, consumer buying trends, etc., for assessing partner universities’ strength in the industry (market share) and predicting consumer buying trends
- Recommends and commissions outside research vendors to provide data for senior marketing management personnel
- Conducts research focus groups to develop marketing analytics relative to consumer buying behavior
- Conducts online consumer research surveys to provide analytics around university brand awareness and service offerings
- Develops market briefs containing consumer research findings regarding product, target consumers, market trends and buying patterns for use by creative team in leveraging marketing campaigns and strategies
- Recommends key messaging optimization and other targeted marketing strategies as a result of consumer research findings
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution preferably with degree in marketing or business administration with credits in statistics, data science, or research
- Minimum of 5 years’ professional market research experience including project management, research design, execution and reporting.
- Must pass a pre-employment background investigation
- Adept at rapid quantitative analysis, troubleshooting MS Excel when necessary, to produce timely and accurate analyses and results
- Adept at thoroughly defining problems and structuring analytical paths to solving them; disaggregates problems into key issues to efficiently solve them; selects efficient analytical approaches that fit the situation.
- Strong technical research skills- both Qualitative and quantitative
- High quality standards in both setting research methods and delivering research results
- Understanding of qualitative research methods (both primary and secondary techniques), working knowledge of statistical analysis
- Strong ability to develop on point trending and forecasting marketing reports which details significant data driven decision recommendations
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize deadlines and manage multiple assignments or projects
- Knowledge and understanding of consumer behavior research and passion for conducting consumer behavior research
- Ability to develop quantitative models for forecasting consumer behavior and trends
- Ability to put data into understandable and significant key findings for presentations
- Excellent analytical skills, e.g., ability to work with large data sets and develop recommendations
- Excellent presentation skills to present a variety of information from simple to complex
- Excellent oral and written communications and ability to provide clear communications among all stakeholders
- Must be able to interact comfortably with high-level staff and executives
- Ability to think quickly and respond immediately in strategy and information meetings
- Highly proficient with Microsoft Office suite, (Word, Outlook, Excel, and PowerPoint), MS Project or similar project management software, social media platforms
- Provide a positive example to students by supporting the University’s Doctrinal Statement, Ethical Position Statement and Mission of Grand Canyon University.
- Experience in higher education industry
- Client-facing, marketing research management experience at a client side marketing research department.
- Experience supervising others
At Grand Canyon Education, it is our privilege to serve students and those who support academic advancement. We lead educational transformation by developing superior ways to help schools grow and prosper. We provide transparent programs, intuitive online learning technologies and well-established academic models that promote student success and institutional growth.
Employment is contingent upon the satisfactory outcome (as determined by the university) of pre-employment screening activities, including a background check.
Only candidates who submit a resume and complete the full application will be considered - anyone without a resume will be declined automatically. For assistance with your job application please use our External Candidate Job Application Guide.
All staff candidates will be asked to review GCE’s staff expectations as part of the application process.
Our partner in education, Grand Canyon University, is Arizona’s premier private Christian university. GCU serves traditional and online students by offering quality academic degree programs, experienced leadership and transformative learning experiences both on our growing campus and digitally.
If you’re interested in working for Grand Canyon University, visit jobs.gcu.edu.
For more information about Grand Canyon Education, Inc., visit gce.com