Lead Payroll Specialist
Only candidates who submit a resume and complete the full application will be considered - anyone without a resume will be declined automatically. For assistance with your job application please use our External Candidate Job Application Guide.
All staff and faculty candidates will be asked to review GCE’s staff expectations as part of the application process.
Current Employees: Please ensure you are logged on to Workday to search and apply for jobs. For assistance with your job application please use the Internal Candidate Job Application Guide.
Grand Canyon Education, formerly part of Grand Canyon University, became its own entity in July 2018 after the Higher Learning Commission approved GCU’s application to become a nonprofit institution. GCE will work in close partnership with GCU. Moreover, many positions with GCE are located on GCU’s main campus.
Grand Canyon Education’s Accounting department is seeking a full time Lead Payroll Specialist. This position will be responsible for providing daily operational oversight of a team of Payroll Specialists in the preparation, distribution and reporting processes related to payroll. This role is also responsible for performing more complex duties related to payroll processing
- Performs and directs activities necessary to process bi-weekly payrolls and daily payroll activities; ensuring that established deadlines are met through coordinating the workflow by payroll specialists.
- Provides direction and assistance to payroll specialists regarding payroll processes and policies.
- Coordinates and monitors the workload of payroll specialists. Provides recommendations to manager on workload adjustments finalizations.
- Assists with quarterly and year end processes.
- Remain current on rules, regulations, laws and policies pertaining to payroll.
- Monitors and updates payroll department processes and contributes to the development of payroll related policies and procedures.
- Trains payroll specialists and provides backup to payroll specialists when needed.
- Serves as a subject matter expert and handles escalated payroll issues. Assist the payroll specialists in diffusing escalations.
- Interacts and partners with other areas such as HR, Legal, Tax and internal/external auditors.
- Reviews, analyzes and verifies payroll reports and documents for accuracy; makes necessary adjustments or corrections through journal entries or other established procedures.
- Analyzes and responds to complex matters requiring comprehensive knowledge of payroll policies and procedures; gets approval for exceptions to the policy within defined limits.
- Researches and interprets a variety of complex technical information in response to inquiries.
- Responds verbally or in writing to inquiries, complaints or problems and makes necessary adjustments of a non-routine nature.
- Initiates payroll processing quality assurance reviews; identifies training issues and/or problem prone processes to ensure optimal efficiency and error-free operations.
- Perform audit of payroll registers prior to transmission and validate confirmed reprts
- Executes time and attendance processing and interface file for upload to payroll system
- Load import files received from various stakeholders
- Process off cycle pay runs and process manual checks when required
- Provides support in all areas of payroll cycle as needed, including garnishments and levies, manual checks/adjustments/LOA payments.
- Participate in system upgrades and assists with any testing required, preparing and updating the appropriate system documentation.
- Performs other related duties or projects as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting, Business or related field.
- Strong knowledge of methods, practices, and principles of payroll preparation and processing required.
- Minimum of five years hands-on payroll processing and 2 years leadership experience required.
- Must be able to pass pre-employment background check
- CPP or FPC certification preferred.
- ADP payroll software experience strongly preferred.
- Experience with tip payroll preferred
- Experience dealing with multi state payroll preferred
- Provide a positive example to students by supporting the University’s Doctrinal Statement, Ethical Position Statement and Mission of Grand Canyon University.
At Grand Canyon Education, it is our privilege to serve students and those who support academic advancement. We lead educational transformation by developing superior ways to help schools grow and prosper. We provide transparent programs, intuitive online learning technologies and well-established academic models that promote student success and institutional growth.
Employment is contingent upon the satisfactory outcome (as determined by the university) of pre-employment screening activities, including a background check.
Our partner in education, Grand Canyon University, is Arizona’s premier private Christian university. GCU serves traditional and online students by offering quality academic degree programs, experienced leadership and transformative learning experiences both on our growing campus and digitally.
If you’re interested in working for Grand Canyon University, visit jobs.gcu.edu.
For more information about Grand Canyon Education, Inc., visit gce.com
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: R000016911