IT Business Analyst
Grand Canyon Education (GCE) is an educational service company that provides an array of support services in the post-secondary education sector. Formerly part of Grand Canyon University (GCU), GCE still supports and works closely with GCU. GCE designs and develops educational programs for GCU and other traditional campus institutions, as well as online partner institutions at the undergraduate, graduate and doctoral levels.
Grand Canyon Education is currently seeking an IT Business Analyst. As a Business Analyst you are responsible for meeting with stakeholders, understanding functional needs and desired outcomes, communicating needs (typically in form of user stories) to the impacted team(s) and effectively tracking relevant items through the Software Development Life Cycle. This includes but is not limited to helping prioritize work along with participating in functional testing to confirm that desired outcomes are aligned to the long-term vision. As a business analyst, you are a change agent. You will help facilitate the gathering of strategic ideas which are then translated into actionable user stories. You will also help prioritize and track requests, and test and deliver solutions to the business.
- Elicit requirements using a variety of tools from stakeholders to define a solution.
- Critically evaluate information gathered from multiple sources, reconcile conflicts, distinguish user requests from underlying needs.
- Communicate and collaborate with external and internal customers to analyze information needs and functional requirements and deliver the following e.g.,
- (business requirements documents, functional requirement documents, use cases, GUI, Screen and interface designs).
- Engage in multiple initiatives simultaneously
- Work independently with users to define concepts and under direction of project managers.
- Serve as the conduit between the customers and the software development team through which requirements flow.
- Develop requirements specifications according to standard templates.
- Collaborate with development and other SME to establish the technical vision and analyze tradeoffs between usability and performance needs.
- Be the liaison between business units, technology teams and support teams.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Minimum of one year professional experience defining business requirements for software applications.
- Minimum of one year development experience (needs to be able to understand how to speak to developers)
- Professional experience presenting requirements to stakeholders and resolving issues.
- Strong analytical skills with outstanding attention to detail.
- Application of Microsoft Office Suite
- Advanced expertise/utilization of use of Microsoft Visio and Excel.
- Able to explain SDLC
- Proficient in technical writing (requirements, design, test case and script creation)
- Solid understanding of entire development process, including specification, documentation, quality assurance and production support.
- Provide a positive example to students by supporting the University’s Doctrinal Statement, Ethical Position Statement and Mission of Grand Canyon University.
At Grand Canyon Education, it is our privilege to serve students and those who support academic advancement. We lead educational transformation by developing superior ways to help schools grow and prosper. We provide transparent programs, intuitive online learning technologies and well-established academic models that promote student success and institutional growth.
Employment is contingent upon the satisfactory outcome (as determined by the university) of pre-employment screening activities, including a background check.
For assistance with your job application please use our External Candidate Job Application Guide.
All staff candidates will be asked to review GCE’s staff expectations as part of the application process.
Our partner in education, Grand Canyon University, is Arizona’s premier private Christian university. GCU serves traditional and online students by offering quality academic degree programs, experienced leadership and transformative learning experiences both on our growing campus and digitally.