IT Business Analyst
Grand Canyon Education (GCE) is an educational service company that provides an array of support services in the post-secondary education sector. Formerly part of Grand Canyon University (GCU), GCE still supports and works closely with GCU. GCE designs and develops educational programs for GCU and other traditional campus institutions, as well as online partner institutions at the undergraduate, graduate and doctoral levels.
Grand Canyon Education is currently seeking an IT Business Analyst. As a Business Analyst you are responsible for meeting with stakeholders, understanding functional needs and desired outcomes, communicating needs (typically in form of user stories) to the impacted team(s) and effectively tracking relevant items through the Software Development Life Cycle. This includes but is not limited to helping prioritize work along with participating in functional testing to confirm that desired outcomes are aligned to the long-term vision. As a business analyst, you are a change agent. You will help facilitate the gathering of strategic ideas which are then translated into actionable user stories. You will also help prioritize and track requests, and test and deliver solutions to the business.
- Elicit requirements from stakeholders using a variety of tools.
- Critically evaluate information gathered from multiple sources, reconcile conflicts, and distinguish user requests from underlying needs.
- Communicate and collaborate with external and internal customers to analyze informational needs and functional requirements and provide user stories, interface design documents, and screen mock-ups.
- Engage in multiple initiatives simultaneously.
- Work independently with stakeholders and users to define concepts.
- Update management regarding issues, concerns, and progress statuses.
- Develop requirements specifications according to team standards.
- Collaborate with development and other subject matter experts to analyze tradeoffs between usability and performance needs.
- Support business users in the evaluation, integration and utilization of software tools that streamline business processes and enable better decision making.
- Help coordinate user acceptance testing.
- Help manage the release process.
- Support management and senior business analysts in achieving business goals, and applying departmental guidelines and processes.
- Bachelor’s degree in business or information technology preferred and minimum of one year of professional experience defining business requirements for software applications.
- Minimum of 2 years’ professional experience defining business requirements for software applications.
- Previous experience with Microsoft Dynamics 365 (on-premise and cloud) - Sales / Customer Engagement
- MS SQL - SSMS and SSRS
- Application of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Experience with Microsoft Excel.
- Working knowledge of entire development process, including specification, documentation, quality assurance, and production support.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills and ability to build and maintain business relationships.
- Customer-focused and able to act with tact, diplomacy and professionalism.
- Ability to translate information between technical and business teams, ensuring expectations are clear on both sides.
- Willingness to incorporate feedback from management and senior business analysts.
- Basic understanding of how to translate technical requirements to nontechnical stakeholders.
- Basic understanding of Agile SDLC methodology and the ability to articulate that understanding to stakeholders.
- Basic understanding of the development process including specification, documentation, quality assurance, and production support.
- Provide a positive example to students by supporting the University’s Doctrinal Statement, Ethical Position Statement and Mission of Grand Canyon University.
At Grand Canyon Education, it is our privilege to serve students and those who support academic advancement. We lead educational transformation by developing superior ways to help schools grow and prosper. We provide transparent programs, intuitive online learning technologies and well-established academic models that promote student success and institutional growth.
Employment is contingent upon the satisfactory outcome (as determined by the university) of pre-employment screening activities, including a background check.
For assistance with your job application please use our External Candidate Job Application Guide.
All staff candidates will be asked to review GCE’s staff expectations as part of the application process.
Our partner in education, Grand Canyon University, is Arizona’s premier private Christian university. GCU serves traditional and online students by offering quality academic degree programs, experienced leadership and transformative learning experiences both on our growing campus and digitally.