Grand Canyon Education (GCE) is an educational service company that provides an array of support services in the post-secondary education sector. Formerly part of Grand Canyon University (GCU), GCE still supports and works closely with GCU. GCE designs and develops educational programs for GCU and other traditional campus institutions, as well as online partner institutions at the undergraduate, graduate and doctoral levels.
Grand Canyon Education is seeking a Human Resources Generalist to provide human resources generalist consulting and support to employees and management across all online and ground client groups. In order to be successful in this role, you will have strong employee relations experience, and ability to provide hands-on HR expertise to busy client groups. Under the guidance of an HR Supervisor, you will provide coaching and counseling to managers on employee issues, serve as the first point of contact to individual contributors on HR-related questions and partner with HR subject matter experts on the implementation of company-wide employee strategies.
While this position is a Phoenix, AZ based role, we are in an indefinitely remote status. There may be department meetings or training's that require in-person attendance (proper health and safety measures will be followed), in which advance notice will be provided.
- Deliver HR services to client groups, and general HR support to employees and front-line managers.
- Work closely with HR Supervisor and management to improve work relationships, build morale, increase productivity and retention.
- Manage and investigate employee relations situations across client groups; partner with HR Supervisor as needed to effectively resolve situations; identify trends in employee relations cases to address root cause; educate managers on how to handle situations more effectively.
- Provide guidance and counsel to management staff regarding appropriate progressive discipline and termination steps. Monitor and review corrective action and termination documentation for completeness and organizational consistency. Identify trends and issues impacting employees and management.
- Identify training and management coaching needs. Deliver new manager and other HR-related training to managers.
- Remain current on labor laws (e.g., FMLA, ADA, etc.) and provide education to managers/supervisors; coordinate any related situations with HR Service Center (HRSC).
- Serve as a key liaison with HR Service Center.
- Act as employee advocate as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources or Business Administration, or similar required.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in Human Resources, with employee relations experience required.
- PHR Certification and experience is a fast-paced call center environment desired.
- Proven ability to conduct thorough employee relations investigations, make recommendations for corrective action and effectively counsel employees and managers.
- Knowledge of all functional areas of HR particularly employee relations, performance management, recruiting, compensation, training and employment laws.
- Demonstrated ability to organize and manage multiple priorities in a quick moving and change oriented environment.
- Ability to manage complex and ambiguous situations and independently drive to solutions.
- Ability to analyze data trends, diagnose and solve moderate to highly complex problems.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both verbally and in writing, including strong presentation skills and customer service orientation.
- Mid-level competency in Microsoft Office products, with a heavy focus on Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint and Word.
- Provide a positive example to students by supporting the University’s Doctrinal Statement, Ethical Position Statement and Mission of Grand Canyon University.
At Grand Canyon Education, it is our privilege to serve students and those who support academic advancement. We lead educational transformation by developing superior ways to help schools grow and prosper. We provide transparent programs, intuitive online learning technologies and well-established academic models that promote student success and institutional growth.
Employment is contingent upon the satisfactory outcome (as determined by the university) of pre-employment screening activities, including a background check.
For assistance with your job application please use our External Candidate Job Application Guide.
All staff candidates will be asked to review GCE’s staff expectations as part of the application process.
Our partner in education, Grand Canyon University, is Arizona’s premier private Christian university. GCU serves traditional and online students by offering quality academic degree programs, experienced leadership and transformative learning experiences both on our growing campus and digitally.