HR Benefits Manager
Responsible for leading the successful execution of the day to day operations of the HR Service Center as well as managing all aspects of the employee benefit programs (medical, 401K, etc.) and leave administration.
As manager of the HR Service Center, responds to questions, concerns and issues escalated by the HRSC Representatives, ensuring delivery of accurate, complete, timely and consistent HR information to HRSC customers. Works under minimum supervision, providing full-scope HR support for managers and employees and performing a variety of responsible and difficult duties requiring critical thinking and problem solving skill. Assures a collaborative environment that fosters and values partnerships, diversity and trust.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: Include, but are not limited to, the following:
Service Center Management:
- Provides leadership, guidance and direction to HRSC team; ensures standards of customer service are met.
- Provides training in needed subject areas to team to ensure they are knowledgeable about the latest HR policies and federal and state regulations and can articulate to GCU/GCE employees effectively.
- Responds to escalated employee inquiries and takes appropriate action to resolve within a timely manner.
- Routinely monitors phone calls, employee benefit/leave transactions to ensure service delivery standards are being met; provides immediate corrective feedback and implements process improvements if warranted.
- Provides guidance to GCE and partner managers regarding HR policies especially benefits and leave policies.
- Identifies, develops and implements training, marketing and/or educational tools to communicate and educate employees on HR policies, employee benefit programs and related administrative procedures.
- Conducts complex research into employee work history/transactions which may include accessing/retrieving data from databases as needed to resolve complaints/legal inquiries or audit findings.
- Partner closely with payroll on relevant benefit and leave areas to ensure that data needed is accurate and timely.
- Partners with and supports HR Business Partners on internal administrative procedures and processes as related to human resources policies. Conducts effective HRSC team meetings covering performance metrics, process improvements, updates on policies/regulation.
- Ensures HR policies, programs, advice and resolutions comply with federal, state and university policies and procedures.
- Remains current with new trends and developments in all functional areas of human resources; shares information with management to keep HR current with best practices.
- Responsible for managing the employee benefits programs according to established guidelines and in accordance with federal and state legal regulations and reporting requirements (i.e., ERISA, IRS, 401(k), DOL, Section 125).
- Seeks guidance from outside benefit broker for the implementation and analysis of employee benefit programs such as health insurance, disability insurance, life insurance, workers compensation, employee assistance, 401(k) and any other GCE and client partners benefit related plans.
- Assists leadership with the annual renewal of benefits with carriers and vendors.
- Manages the contracts with benefit plan providers, vendors, auditors and consultants for services, premiums and effective plan administration and delivery of services
- Serves as key liaison with vendors to ensure efficient work flow and achievement of expected service levels.
- Investigates new benefit programs and recommends improvements or value added additions to existing programs.
- Responsible for administrative and communication protocols for yearly enrollment procedures for benefits.
- Prepares and communicates information to employees and former employees about benefit programs, procedures, changes and government-mandated disclosures.
- Responsible for benefit education during new employee benefits orientation.
- Reviews program goals, objectives and budgets in all areas of employee benefits programs with broker and provides updates to management for approval.
- Prepares and executes, with legal and senior management consultation, benefit documentation such as original and amended plan tests, benefit agreements and insurance policies.
- Establishes effective process for maintenance of enrollment, application and claims records for all benefit plans and reviews record maintenance procedures regularly.
- Oversees the process of leaves including eligibility, intake, case management, return-to-work ensuring adherence and compliance to federal and multi state leave regulations.
- Handles escalated issues and ensures effective resolution
- Ensures regulatory compliance of leave and accommodation determination and processing
- Keeps abreast of multi-state and federal regulatory updates
- Develops and provides manager training to educate managers in understanding the employer’s requirements in executing and approving leave requests and in providing accommodations.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: Provides leadership and direction to HR Service Center team members which includes Benefits Analyst, Leave Analyst and Service Center Representatives.
Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
QUALIFICATIONS: The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required to successfully perform the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong knowledge of state and federal laws including ERISA, IRS 401(k), COBRA, HIPAA, Section 125 IRC.
- Strong knowledge in benefits and leave administration and regulations.
- Must have strong body of HR knowledge including employment law with an ability to demonstrate hands-on application.
- Demonstrated ability to make independent decisions, and manage conflicting priorities Excellent interpersonal, customer service and team oriented skills with the ability to work within a highly structured environment; handles difficult situations and customers in a professional and courteous manner.
- Able to tailor messages to a variety of audiences, craft complex communications for all levels within client groups and convey updates and training or presentations to groups
- Ability to build relationships, credibility and trust with employees and management
- Extremely high level of detail and accuracy in all aspects of the job while managing multiple priorities with frequent interpretations.
- Ability to handling proprietary and sensitive company information with a high degree of confidentiality.
- Customer service orientation with the ability to identify and understand customer needs and expresses an interest, or desire to assist the client in an efficient and friendly manner.
- Basic statistical analysis of productivity metrics and standards
- Basic financial analysis (cost effectiveness, cost benefit)
- Ability to work within a fast-based environment and under deadline pressure.
- Strong technical aptitude and comfort level accessing and navigating HR software and telephony systems.
- Proficiency with MS Office products including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook and office machines and other office software such as fax-on-demand services, call center caseload software, telephony systems, etc.
- Self-starter with good organizational, time management, analytical and troubleshooting skills.
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in human resources, business or a related field. An equivalent combination of education and work experience may be substituted.
- Minimum five years’ experience in a generalist or functional HR administrator role; role responsibilities to include handling of benefits, FMLA, payroll, work accommodations, interpretation and guidance of policies to employees and managers for client group or company.
- Minimum two years’ of experience in leadership capacity preferably in a shared service center environment with heavy emphasis on benefits and leave.
- Experience with self-funded benefit plans and 401k plans.
At Grand Canyon Education, it is our privilege to serve students and those who support academic advancement. We lead educational transformation by developing superior ways to help schools grow and prosper. We provide transparent programs, intuitive online learning technologies and well-established academic models that promote student success and institutional growth.
Employment is contingent upon the satisfactory outcome (as determined by the university) of pre-employment screening activities, including a background check.
For assistance with your job application please use our External Candidate Job Application Guide.
All staff candidates will be asked to review GCE’s staff expectations as part of the application process.
Our partner in education, Grand Canyon University, is Arizona’s premier private Christian university. GCU serves traditional and online students by offering quality academic degree programs, experienced leadership and transformative learning experiences both on our growing campus and digitally.