Front End Developer
Grand Canyon Education (GCE) is an educational service company that provides an array of support services in the post-secondary education sector. Formerly part of Grand Canyon University (GCU), GCE still supports and works closely with GCU. GCE designs and develops educational programs for GCU and other traditional campus institutions, as well as online partner institutions at the undergraduate, graduate and doctoral levels.
Grand Canyon Education is seeking a Front End Developer. Reports to the Sr. Web Development Manager, works collaboratively with various members within the marketing department including web designers, back-end developers, digital marketing specialists, assigned marketing partners, executing front-end development throughout GCU’s web properties. The Front End Developer works on front-end development initiatives and has knowledge of front-end development best practices.
The Front End Developer tests and executes web enhancements resulting in improved user experiences, increased rankings and overall improvements to GCU web properties. Works collaboratively with the marketing team project lead on the implementation of web marketing plans which support GCU’s total marketing strategy. Web marketing refers to marketing efforts that use GCU’s website properties, which are leveraged to promote the University’s educational services and objectives.
- Authors new user-facing features which enhance usability, accessibility and performance.
- Collaborates with UI/UX designers to ensure the technical feasibility of user interface and user experience designs.
- Collaborates with back-end developers to develop new and existing web services and server rendered pages.
- Collaborate efficiently with back end team to deliver integrated, solid and tested solutions.
- Builds functionality with reusable code and authors new libraries with a focus on future reusability.
- Assists with the development of test automation used in verifying conformity of front-end code to functional requirements, web standards, and accessibility standards.
- Assists in the gathering of requirements and development of documentation surrounding web development projects.
- Assists in project planning and execution throughout the entire software development lifecycle.
- Analyzes, reviews and modifies web functionality by maintaining, documenting, testing, developing and monitoring various forms of data and functionality.
- Applies new technologies and/or best practices to the web pages to optimize and improve user experience based upon independent research and gaining approval from management to do so.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related discipline (computer science, information technology, etc.) from a regionally accredited institution and minimum of 2 years of experience building web applications.
- 3 years’ of work experience building web applications with an unrelated bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution.
- 4 years’ of work experience building web applications with an associate’s degree from an accredited institution.
- 1+ years of experience with React, Angular or Vue.
- 1+ years of experience working on a team using agile methodologies.
- 1+ years of experience working on a team utilizing GIT for source code management.
- Strong knowledge of web markup, including HTML5 and CSS3.
- Strong knowledge of CSS pre-processing technologies such as LESS and SASS.
- Proficiency with jQuery and Bootstrap frameworks.
- Proficiency with front end task runners and build tools such as NPM, Grunt, Gulp, and/or Webpack.
- Proficiency in translating front-end mockups and wireframes into functioning applications.
- Proficiency using GIT for source code management.
- Proficiency at using browser development tools within each major browser.
- Understanding of W3C WCAG web accessibility requirements.
- Understanding of SEO principals as it applies to front-end development.
- Understanding of page rendering orchestration within a browser.
- Solid experience in building & continuously improving user experience for responsive/device specific design.
- Solid understanding and experience in application security from the web service and web application perspective.
- Good understanding of major operating systems.
- Provide a positive example to students by supporting the University’s Doctrinal Statement, Ethical Position Statement and Mission of Grand Canyon University.
At Grand Canyon Education, it is our privilege to serve students and those who support academic advancement. We lead educational transformation by developing superior ways to help schools grow and prosper. We provide transparent programs, intuitive online learning technologies and well-established academic models that promote student success and institutional growth.
Employment is contingent upon the satisfactory outcome (as determined by the university) of pre-employment screening activities, including a background check.
Only candidates who submit a resume and complete the full application will be considered - anyone without a resume will be declined automatically. For assistance with your job application please use our External Candidate Job Application Guide.
All staff candidates will be asked to review GCE’s staff expectations as part of the application process.
Our partner in education, Grand Canyon University, is Arizona’s premier private Christian university. GCU serves traditional and online students by offering quality academic degree programs, experienced leadership and transformative learning experiences both on our growing campus and digitally.
If you’re interested in working for Grand Canyon University, visit jobs.gcu.edu.
For more information about Grand Canyon Education, Inc., visit gce.com
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: R000021901