Fixed Asset Accountant
Grand Canyon Education (GCE) is an educational service company that provides an array of support services in the post-secondary education sector. Formerly part of Grand Canyon University (GCU), GCE still supports and works closely with GCU. GCE designs and develops educational programs for GCU and other traditional campus institutions, as well as online partner institutions at the undergraduate, graduate and doctoral levels.
Grand Canyon Education's Accounting Department is currently seeking a Fixed Asset Accountant. Working under general guidance the Fixed Asset Accountant will perform all duties related to the prepaid and fixed assets including maintaining subledgers; performing month-end duties and research as required; preparing journal entries, reconciliations, and audit schedules; analyzing associated activity accounts; and other tasks as assigned. The Fixed Asset Accountant role requires detailed analysis of invoices in order to determine asset validity, classification, and significant amounts of data entry in a time sensitive environment while adhering to all policies and procedures. The Fixed Asset Accountant role often requires collaboration with internal and external partners requiring an effective command of technical knowledge and the skill to deliver through verbal and written communication to those without technical knowledge and training in a professional manner.
- Prepares, records, and reconciles journal entries and the general ledger in all accounts related to areas of assigned accountability, prepaid and fixed assets, taking appropriate action to research, correct, and raise concerns to management as needed.
- Analyzes activity in accounts related to areas of assigned accountability, prepaid and fixed assets, taking appropriate action to reclassify, amortize, or depreciate as required by company policy and US GAAP.
- Maintains Excel based construction in process and subsidiary ledger import schedule which includes review and research to determine asset validity, life, classification which requires significant amounts of data entry.
- Maintains fixed asset subsidiary ledger software including monthly asset imports for new additions, monthly depreciation calculations, other monthly close operations, and various reporting on a monthly and ad hoc basis.
- Prepares various manual reports, schedules, and analysis as requested, primarily focused on fixed assets. These may include roll-forward of balances, ratio analytics, identification of recurring subscriptions that have not been renewed, and others.
- Maintains Excel based reconciliation of prepaid annual contracts which includes review and research to determine validity, terms, department classification, and amortization schedule while working closely with other departments and partners to plan and properly record transactions.
- Assists in preparing and managing requests from internal and external partners including clients, internal auditors, external auditors, and client audit partners.
- Work with other departments and partners in understanding and adhering to company and client’s policies related to position’s area of accountability, offering guidance and support to ensure transactions are properly treated.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance from a regionally accredited institution required.
- Minimum of 3 years’ hands on accounting experience, experience with Fixed Assets strongly preferred.
- CPA or CPA candidate preferred.
- Ability to pass pre-employment background investigation.
- Diligent, thorough, high level of attention to detail.
- Ability to multitask and prioritize responsibilities based on deadlines.
- Expert knowledge of FASB/GAAP regulations.
- Excellent planning and project management skills and ability to successfully manage multiple projects.
- Advanced level PC skills with knowledge of Windows and Microsoft software applications.
- Excellent problem solving and critical thinking capabilities.
- Highly-developed communication skills.
- Not-for-profit experience not required, but helpful.
- Understanding of industry and economic trends affecting businesses helpful.
- Commitment and desire for continuous improvement.
- Ability to cope professionally with changing priorities and tight deadlines.
- Honest and trustworthy, exhibiting sound business ethics.
- Ability to communicate with a diverse population through multiple media channels including e-mail, video and tele-conference, in person and instant message devices.
- Provide a positive example to students by supporting the University’s Doctrinal Statement, Ethical Position Statement and Mission of Grand Canyon University.
At Grand Canyon Education, it is our privilege to serve students and those who support academic advancement. We lead educational transformation by developing superior ways to help schools grow and prosper. We provide transparent programs, intuitive online learning technologies and well-established academic models that promote student success and institutional growth.
Employment is contingent upon the satisfactory outcome (as determined by the university) of pre-employment screening activities, including a background check.
For assistance with your job application please use our External Candidate Job Application Guide.
All staff candidates will be asked to review GCE’s staff expectations as part of the application process.
Our partner in education, Grand Canyon University, is Arizona’s premier private Christian university. GCU serves traditional and online students by offering quality academic degree programs, experienced leadership and transformative learning experiences both on our growing campus and digitally.