Director of Compensation & Benefits
Grand Canyon Education, formerly part of Grand Canyon University, became its own entity in July 2018 after the Higher Learning Commission approved GCU’s application to become a nonprofit institution. GCE will work in close partnership with GCU. Moreover, many positions with GCE are located on GCU’s main campus.
Grand Canyon Education is seeking a Director of Compensation & Benefits. This position is responsible for the design, implementation, administration and oversight of compensation, benefit and wellness programs for both Grand Canyon Education, Inc. and its client, Grand Canyon University. This is a key role, reporting to the VP of Human Resources, which will contribute to the company’s continued growth and profitability by ensuring that pay structures and benefit plans are cost-effective and remain competitive to attract and retain a quality workforce.
- Lead the design, delivery and administration of all compensation and benefit programs and processes.
- Monitor effectiveness of programs and make recommendations for changes, model cost impact and present recommendations. Research best practices through surveys and other information sources.
- Develop effective and compelling compensation and benefit training and communications strategies, tools and processes to optimize perceived value, improve employee engagement and ensure regulatory compliance.
- Draft and implement compensation and benefit related policies.
- Ensure compliance with all compensation and benefit related laws and regulations including FLSA, ACA, FMLA, ADA, EEOC, ERISA, HIPAA.
- Prepare annual functional budget for approval and oversee all comp and benefit-related expenses.
- Build and maintain strong partnerships with HR team members, Finance, Payroll, IT, Legal and external partners.
- Mentor, train, and performance manage assigned staff.
- In conjunction with the Associate Director of Compensation, manage design and development of compensation strategy and structure to ensure internal equity, competitive salary levels and regulatory compliance.
- Develop and maintain salary pay structure and position title framework for staff. Oversee administration of special compensation programs including faculty and DOE-regulated enrollment operations compensation programs and collaborate with leaders to ensure competitive positioning.
- Collaborate and provide counsel to the Executive team, HR Business Partners, Talent Acquisition and Workday HMS teams regarding compensation solutions, issues, job bands/grade levels, job descriptions, etc.
- In conjunction with the VP, determine long-term strategy for benefits and evaluate all benefit plans to ensure they are cost-effective, competitive and meet the needs of both the employees and the company.
- Manage and negotiate contracts and relationships with brokers, consultants and vendors.
- Lead the annual benefit plan renewal and open enrollment cycles including market analysis, plan design, cost modeling, stakeholder management, and communication. Collaborate with internal HMS (Workday) team on system configuration.
- Manage all compliance, filing, reports and audits related to benefit programs including health and welfare, wellness and 401(k).
- Oversee employee wellness program designed to motivate employees in innovative ways to maintain and improve their health. Manage corporate wellness administrator.
- Serve on the 401(k) committee.
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution.
- Master’s degree preferred.
- Compensation and Benefits Certifications preferred: CEBS, CCP or CBP.
- Preferred experience with self-funded benefit plans.
- Strong knowledge of all functional areas of HR including performance management, recruiting, benefits, compensation, training, and change management.
- Strong knowledge of federal and multi-state employment law, and human resources practices.
- Successful track record in positions of increasing responsibility within the benefits and compensation function, which includes a minimum of 8 years of direct benefits and compensation experience with 3 of those years in a leadership role.
- Ability to operate at a strategic level with senior executives, as well as at a tactical operational level.
- Must be able to pass pre-employment background check.
- Provide a positive example to students by supporting the University’s Doctrinal Statement, Ethical Position Statement and Mission of Grand Canyon University.
At Grand Canyon Education, it is our privilege to serve students and those who support academic advancement. We lead educational transformation by developing superior ways to help schools grow and prosper. We provide transparent programs, intuitive online learning technologies and well-established academic models that promote student success and institutional growth.
Employment is contingent upon the satisfactory outcome (as determined by the university) of pre-employment screening activities, including a background check.
Only candidates who submit a resume and complete the full application will be considered - anyone without a resume will be declined automatically. For assistance with your job application please use our External Candidate Job Application Guide.
All staff candidates will be asked to review GCE’s staff expectations as part of the application process.
Our partner in education, Grand Canyon University, is Arizona’s premier private Christian university. GCU serves traditional and online students by offering quality academic degree programs, experienced leadership and transformative learning experiences both on our growing campus and digitally.
If you’re interested in working for Grand Canyon University, visit jobs.gcu.edu.
For more information about Grand Canyon Education, Inc., visit gce.com
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: R000018540