DBA Database Administrator
Grand Canyon Education, formerly part of Grand Canyon University, became its own entity in July 2018 after the HLC approved GCU’s application to become a nonprofit institution. GCE will work in close partnership with GCU. Moreover, many positions with GCE are located on GCU’s main campus.
Grand Canyon Education is currently seeking a Database Administrator. This position focuses on developing and managing database technologies for Grand Canyon University and/or assigned software specialty. Installs upgrades, repairs technical issues, monitors database performance, provides technical support, enforces security measures, assists in creating confidentiality policies for database users, ensures data extractions meet quality standards and security requirements, backs up data and programs, assists in creating programming guides and trains and guides other department employees in database management tasks.
- Responsible for database engineering, as well as building, running and helping provide strategic technical direction for the department.
- Supports and develops SQL Server databases.
- Maintains high availability databases in support of 24/7 services.
- Maintains and enhances database maintenance routines.
- Optimizes SQL performance, partitioning, indexing, stored procedures and DTS packages.
- Responsible for database scripting and setting the configuration of both and SQL server.
- Manages patch deployment and migration for SQL servers, including testing procedures and release/change management processes.
- Establishes physical database parameters including file system layout and performance requirements.
- Troubleshoots and resolves problems related to SQL development and provides support for applications.
- Works closely with Systems Administrators and Application Development teams to support the architecture/operational practices of GCU.
- Partners with project technical leads and development teams to execute technical solutions in line with customer expectations and company strategic goals.
- Assists infrastructure database administrators with routine performance and availability testing on database servers to ensure scalability, resiliency and capacity of all applications and to ensure the performance, availability and security of the databases.
- Manages capacity planning activity for database systems including storage usage.
- Provides expert level database administration support to third-party vendors, developers and others as needed.
- Integrates SQL systems with third-party tools and environments.
- Establishes monitoring thresholds for database systems.
- Provides and manages data replication services as needed.
- Assists in developing and testing disaster recovery procedures and plans for MS SQL applications.
- Executes database backup and recovery operations, database patching and upgrades and implementation of database security policies.
- Ensures complete and up-to-date documentation of applications.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or other related technical discipline acquired through a regionally accredited institution.
- Five years of FT MS SQL database administration in a high-availability production environment preferred; experience in higher education with online services preferred, including:
- Extensive knowledge with Snapshots using NetApp storage technologies.
- Working knowledge of MS SQL Server databases’ installs.
- BI/Data warehousing experience on Microsoft tools is helpful.
- Experience with Transactional SQL (T-SQL) and SSIS Packages.
- Practical experience in managing the internal and external and MS SQL database security, maintenance plans and disaster recovery.
- Willingness to work evenings, weekends, holidays as required to provide support and maintenance for systems, and to ensure 24/7 support and troubleshooting of business-critical database servers.
- Knowledge of developing database objects for web and desktop applications.
- Must be willing to work "on call" regularly.
- Provide a positive example to students by supporting the University’s Doctrinal Statement, Ethical Position Statement and Mission of Grand Canyon University.
At Grand Canyon Education, it is our privilege to serve students and those who support academic advancement. We lead educational transformation by developing superior ways to help schools grow and prosper. We provide transparent programs, intuitive online learning technologies and well-established academic models that promote student success and institutional growth.
Employment is contingent upon the satisfactory outcome (as determined by the university) of pre-employment screening activities, including a background check.
Only candidates who submit a resume and complete the full application will be considered - anyone without a resume will be declined automatically. For assistance with your job application please use our External Candidate Job Application Guide.
All staff candidates will be asked to review GCE’s staff expectations as part of the application process.
Our partner in education, Grand Canyon University, is Arizona’s premier private Christian university. GCU serves traditional and online students by offering quality academic degree programs, experienced leadership and transformative learning experiences both on our growing campus and digitally.
If you’re interested in working for Grand Canyon University, visit jobs.gcu.edu.
For more information about Grand Canyon Education, Inc., visit gce.com
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: R000021997