Grand Canyon Education (GCE) is an educational service company that provides an array of support services in the post-secondary education sector. Formerly part of Grand Canyon University (GCU), GCE still supports and works closely with GCU. GCE designs and develops educational programs for GCU and other traditional campus institutions, as well as online partner institutions at the undergraduate, graduate and doctoral levels.
Grand Canyon Education is currently seeking a Database Developer. This position is responsible for managing and organizing electronic data according to corporate data administration policies and standards in order to ensure that the information needs of the users are met.
- Works with the infrastructure DBA to ensure the performance, availability, and security of the database.
- Writes and understands Microsoft SQL. Writing SQL statements, stored procedures and views using industry best practices for security and efficiency.
- Provides expert level support for reporting needs.
- Provides user support associated with development activities.
- Responsible for troubleshooting and problem solving of SQL development.
- Assists infrastructure DBA with routine performance and availability testing on database servers to ensure scalability, resiliency, and capacity of all applications.
- Provides expert level database administration support to 3rd party vendors, developers and others as needed. Works with implementation team to build, customize and roll out new solutions to organization and with consultants to design and build database structure specific to business needs.
- Remains competent and current through self directed professional reading and researching available tools and products, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses as assigned by the Senior Database Analyst.
- Contributes to the overall success of the IT Department by performing other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or other related technical discipline acquired through a regionally accredited institution.
- Minimum of three years’ related experience in working with databases preferably in a high-availability production environment; experience in higher education with online services preferred, including:
- Working knowledge of MS SQL Server databases’ installs
- BI/Data warehousing experience on Microsoft tools is helpful.
- Experience with Transactional SQL (T-SQL) and SSIS Packages.
- Practical experience in managing the internal and external and MS SQL database security, maintenance plans and disaster recovery.
- Advanced knowledge of SQL databases and replica-sets gained through running critical systems.
- Thorough understanding of Profiling, Performance Tuning and Optimization, using native monitoring and troubleshooting tools to resolve database problems.
- In-depth knowledge of SQL Server Database Administration including clustering.
- Strong proficiency of T-SQL coding, PowerShell coding and stored procedures.
- Exceptional knowledge of SQL Monitoring tool - IDERA.
- Implementation knowledge and ability with SQL Mirroring and log shipping.
- Knowledge of indexes, index management and statistics.
- Knowledge of MS SQL 2000/2005/2008 RDBMS on large systems helpful.
- Workable knowledge and familiarity with storage, hardware and network components used in database clustering.
- Knowledge of disaster recovery procedures.
- Knowledge of SQL 2012 - Always On to implement HA and DR solutions.
- Microsoft full stack development.
- Willingness to work evenings, weekends, holidays as required to provide support and maintenance for systems, and to ensure 24/7 support and troubleshooting of business-critical database servers.
- Knowledge of developing database objects for web and desktop applications.
- Must be willing to work "on call" regularly.
- Must be able to pass background investigations.
- Provide a positive example to students by supporting the University’s Doctrinal Statement, Ethical Position Statement and Mission of Grand Canyon University.
At Grand Canyon Education, it is our privilege to serve students and those who support academic advancement. We lead educational transformation by developing superior ways to help schools grow and prosper. We provide transparent programs, intuitive online learning technologies and well-established academic models that promote student success and institutional growth.
Employment is contingent upon the satisfactory outcome (as determined by the university) of pre-employment screening activities, including a background check.
For assistance with your job application please use our External Candidate Job Application Guide.
All staff candidates will be asked to review GCE’s staff expectations as part of the application process.
Our partner in education, Grand Canyon University, is Arizona’s premier private Christian university. GCU serves traditional and online students by offering quality academic degree programs, experienced leadership and transformative learning experiences both on our growing campus and digitally.