Database Developer I
Grand Canyon Education, formerly part of Grand Canyon University, became its own entity in July 2018 after the Higher Learning Commission approved GCU’s application to become a nonprofit institution. GCE will work in close partnership with GCU. Moreover, many positions with GCE are located on GCU’s main campus.
Grand Canyon Education is currently seeking a Database Developer. This position is responsible for managing and organizing electronic data according to corporate data administration policies and standards in order to ensure that the information needs of the users are met.
- Works with the infrastructure DBA to ensure the performance, availability, and security of the database.
- Writes and understands Microsoft SQL. Writing SQL statements, stored procedures and views using industry best practices for security and efficiency.
- Provides expert level support for reporting needs.
- Provides user support associated with development activities.
- Responsible for troubleshooting and problem solving of SQL development.
- Assists infrastructure DBA with routine performance and availability testing on database servers to ensure scalability, resiliency, and capacity of all applications.
- Provides expert level database administration support to 3rd party vendors, developers and others as needed. Works with implementation team to build, customize and roll out new solutions to organization and with consultants to design and build database structure specific to business needs.
- Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading and researching available tools and products, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses as assigned by the Senior Database Analyst.
- Contributes to the overall success of the IT Department by performing other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or other related technical discipline acquired through a regionally accredited institution.
- Minimum of three years’ related experience in working with databases preferably in a high-availability production environment; experience in higher education with online services preferred, including:
- Working knowledge of MS SQL Server databases’ installs
- BI/Data warehousing experience on Microsoft tools is helpful.
- Experience with Transactional SQL (T-SQL) and SSIS Packages.
- Practical experience in managing the internal and external and MS SQL database security, maintenance plans and disaster recovery.
- Willingness to work evenings, weekends, holidays as required to provide support and maintenance for systems, and to ensure 24/7 support and troubleshooting of business-critical database servers.
- Must be willing to work "on call" regularly.
- Provide a positive example to students by supporting the University’s Doctrinal Statement, Ethical Position Statement and Mission of Grand Canyon University.
At Grand Canyon Education, it is our privilege to serve students and those who support academic advancement. We lead educational transformation by developing superior ways to help schools grow and prosper. We provide transparent programs, intuitive online learning technologies and well-established academic models that promote student success and institutional growth.
Employment is contingent upon the satisfactory outcome (as determined by the university) of pre-employment screening activities, including a background check.
Only candidates who submit a resume and complete the full application will be considered - anyone without a resume will be declined automatically. For assistance with your job application please use our External Candidate Job Application Guide.
All staff candidates will be asked to review GCE’s staff expectations as part of the application process.
Our partner in education, Grand Canyon University, is Arizona’s premier private Christian university. GCU serves traditional and online students by offering quality academic degree programs, experienced leadership and transformative learning experiences both on our growing campus and digitally.
If you’re interested in working for Grand Canyon University, visit jobs.gcu.edu.
For more information about Grand Canyon Education, Inc., visit gce.com
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: R000018183