Curriculum Instructional Designer
Come Grow With Us
Grand Canyon Education (GCE) is a rapidly growing educational service company that has long been an industry leader in providing educational, operational and technological support services to the post-secondary education sector. Formerly part of Grand Canyon University (GCU), GCE still works closely with GCU to benefit thousands of students, families and the local inner-city community. We put people first, drive innovation, and do good in the community that we live and work in.
The Curriculum Instructional Designer will design and develop programmatic content and course curricula for traditional and online student populations. Assists with delivery of training as needed.
What you will do:
- Researches industry needs and career responsibilities to inform and facilitate the implementation of specific knowledge, skills, and other requirements into degree programs.
- Applies theory and problem-solving to the design and development of curricula for traditional and online learners.
- Analyzes program and course design for alignment to competencies and discipline-specific standards.
- Reviews course content to ensure competencies, standards, and benchmarks are effectively assessed according to the program design.
- Collaborates with development teams to design new curricula as well as translate existing curricular content to new delivery formats.
- Designs measurement instruments and analyzes qualitative and quantitative data.
- Facilitates design meetings with faculty and professional practitioners.
- Maintains regular and frequent communications with development stakeholders to ensure successful implementation of projects.
- Takes appropriate actions to identify, investigate, address, and escalate issues when necessary, to resolve them.
- Provides quality service in working with partners, in coordination of workflows within intra- and inter-departmental entities, and in facilitating communication among stakeholders.
- Maintains proficiency and engages in lifelong learning opportunities that foster growth, advanced job capacity, and efficiency.
- Meets quality, productivity, and service standards established by department.
- Provides support to CDD team members as needed through training or one-on-one coaching
- Performs additional duties as required.
What you will have:
- Extensive knowledge of various learning theories, instructional design theories, and methodologies such as ADDIE with demonstrated ability to apply them to K-12 learning, higher education learning, and adult learning in both online and traditional modalities.
- Demonstrated proficiency in applying instructional design theory, models, and best practices; demonstrated proficiency using instructional design tools such as learning project plans, design documents, learning hierarchies, prototypes, etc.
- Ability to facilitate-to-consensus (act as balancer of interests vs. positions among the many clients involved in a course transformation)
- Demonstrated sufficient level of analytical and strategic thinking to manage designated projects to ensure project progresses on time and meets quality standards
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and collaborative in a service-oriented, supportive environment as well as manage multiple priorities and deadlines.
- Excellent attention to detail and skills in communication, presentation design and delivery, and data collection and analysis
- Thorough knowledge of functional area (program disciplines) and how work within one course may impact work being done on other courses.
- Thorough knowledge of instructional design principles and learning strategies, including needs analysis, backwards design, learning outcomes and assessment design, and instructional approaches including lecture, discussion, activities, projects, etc.
- High proficiency in computer application usage, e.g., Microsoft Office suite, graphics.
- Master’s degree in instructional design
- Demonstrated work experience in instructional design preferably for higher education (minimum of 3 years)
- Minimum 3 years of experience evaluating course quality using established rubrics
Why work at GCE:
- Exceptional workplace benefits include medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurance, flexible spending accounts, a 401K savings plan
- Generous time off plan and 11 paid holidays
- Paid time off to volunteer in the community or at GCU sponsored events
- We also offer full-time employees, their spouses and dependent children an Education Tuition Discount Program