Communications Specialist - K-12 Educational Development
Grand Canyon Education (GCE) is an educational service company that provides an array of support services in the post-secondary education sector. Formerly part of Grand Canyon University (GCU), GCE still supports and works closely with GCU. GCE designs and develops educational programs for GCU and other traditional campus institutions, as well as online partner institutions at the undergraduate, graduate and doctoral levels.
Grand Canyon Education’s K12 Educational Development department is seeking a full time Communications and Marketing Specialist to work collaboratively within the K12 Educational Development team. The position will work Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. with occasional nights and weekends.
- Produce and coordinate a variety of external and internal GCU printed and electronic communications vehicles targeted at university partners and internal audiences for approval, including newsletters, brochures, fliers, emails, letters and posters.
- Oversee department’s social media campaigns: manage budget, create paid campaigns, create posts, research and test strategies to grow followers and increase engagement, analyze trends and outcomes.
- Identify and research topics, interviews content experts and writes copy for print and electronic newsletters, special announcements, websites and other materials as needed.
- Represent department at events that include communication specialists from external organizations including, schools, districts, educational agencies and associations. This may include public speaking opportunities.
- Distribute electronic communication materials to the appropriate distribution lists and works with the K12 Educational Development team to coordinate the content and production schedules for all publications.
- Meet regularly with the K12 Educational Development team to understand their communication needs and to offer options.
- Meet regularly with other university communication and marketing teams that coordinate efforts with the K12 Educational team.
- Work with university marketing team to create and develop marketing materials for department events.
- Develop and maintain contacts throughout the University in order to gather accurate and timely information, and manages department information within university database.
- Research internal communications tools and methods successfully implemented at alliance participant schools, districts, educational agencies and competitive institutions and offer ideas and suggestions that help the team in being current and responsive to changing communications priorities, options and technologies.
- Assistance with other department duties (i.e., events, administrative tasks as needed).
- Bachelor’s degree required. Journalism, Communications, Marketing, Education or English emphasis preferred
- 2 - 4 years of public relations experience with an emphasis in external/partnership communications preferred, with demonstrated experience in writing for a variety of audiences
- Background or working knowledge in K12 education preferred.
- Excellent ability to communicate effectively (written and verbal) with all audiences. Excellent interviewing and speaking skills required.
- Proficiency in social media.
- Ability to multi-task and work collaboratively in a fast-paced, changing environment
- Self-directed in exploring and suggesting options when facing challenges.
- Demonstrated knowledge of AP style.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, database software and Internet navigation.
- Experience in formatting and distributing electronic publications and/or developing web content a plus.
- Working knowledge of printing and graphic design processes a plus.
- Availability and willingness to work evenings and weekends.
- Some travel may be required.
- Provide a positive example to students by supporting the University’s Doctrinal Statement, Ethical Position Statement and Mission of Grand Canyon University.
At Grand Canyon Education, it is our privilege to serve students and those who support academic advancement. We lead educational transformation by developing superior ways to help schools grow and prosper. We provide transparent programs, intuitive online learning technologies and well-established academic models that promote student success and institutional growth.
Employment is contingent upon the satisfactory outcome (as determined by the university) of pre-employment screening activities, including a background check.
Only candidates who submit a resume and complete the full application will be considered - anyone without a resume will be declined automatically. For assistance with your job application please use our External Candidate Job Application Guide.
All staff candidates will be asked to review GCE’s staff expectations as part of the application process.
Our partner in education, Grand Canyon University, is Arizona’s premier private Christian university. GCU serves traditional and online students by offering quality academic degree programs, experienced leadership and transformative learning experiences both on our growing campus and digitally.
If you’re interested in working for Grand Canyon University, visit jobs.gcu.edu.
For more information about Grand Canyon Education, Inc., visit gce.com