Cisco Telecommunications Engineer
Grand Canyon Education (GCE) is an educational service company that provides an array of support services in the post-secondary education sector. Formerly part of Grand Canyon University (GCU), GCE still supports and works closely with GCU. GCE designs and develops educational programs for GCU and other traditional campus institutions, as well as online partner institutions at the undergraduate, graduate and doctoral levels.
Grand Canyon Education is currently seeking a Cisco Telecommunications Engineer. This position requires a proficient and deep understanding of the Cisco Unified Communications architecture as well as a strong ability to support, design and troubleshoot Unified Contact Center Enterprise, ICM, IPIVR, CUIC, Unified Communication Manager, Cisco Unity Connection, Cisco Emergency Responder, and Voice Gateways. With an administrative understanding and working knowledge of cloud based phone technologies.
- Cisco Unified Communications Support & Implementation, UCCE 10.5, IPIVR 10.5, Call Manager (versions 10.6.2), Unity Connection, Cisco Emergency Responder, Enterprise Fax considerations, Cisco Unified Border Elements (CUBEs), ISR Voice Gateways, Conferencing, Transcoding, Dial Peer configuration, call recording and Digit manipulation and Dial Plan design.
- Direct working knowledge of Cisco IOS configuration as pertained to call routing, as well as network infrastructure (route/switch)
- Working knowledge of cloud-based telephony
- Provides subject matter expertise to business and technology management.
- Acts as a primary point of contact when working with Cisco TAC as well as telco carrier engineering
- Contributes to and maintains system standards.
- Contributes to and maintains system standards.
- Determines methods and procedures for solving complex technical issues encompassing hardware, software and networking.
- Creates standard procedures for frequent administration tasks.
- Troubleshoots hardware, software, or process deficiencies as they occur.
- Drives high availability by maintaining current versions, firmware releases and vendor suggested improvements.
- Provides after hours on-call support.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related discipline (computer science, information technology, etc.) from a regionally accredited institution.
- At least seven years of relevant technical experience in a Cisco Unified Communication enterprise environment.
- May consider an equivalent combination of directly-related work experience and education.
- Strong understanding of the Cisco Unified Communications. Including Unified Contact Center Enterprise, the ability to support ICM, IPIVR and CUIC. We desire a deep understanding of the architecture and the ability to methodically troubleshoot ICM components (Intelligent Call Routing Solution) including the Router, Logger, PG’s, CTIOS, CAD & CUIC.
- A strong ICM Scripting ability is desired. The ability to intuitively understand business rules and convert those rules into precise scripting logic to distribute calls to appropriately selected resources.
- Strong understanding of Voice Gateways including the AS5400 with TDM DS3 circuits, working knowledge with Cisco Unified Border Element (SIP CUBEs), with the ability to configure, design and troubleshoot these types of Gateways.
- Strong understanding of the Unified Communication Manager platform with working knowledge of Call Control functions including Call Routing, dial plan design, digit manipulation, Call Coverage, endpoint administration, class of service through calling search spaces and partition, and a strong proficiency with the BAT tool for bulk inserts, and updates to existing configured elements.
- Strong understanding of the Unity Connection voice mail platform with the ability to design, troubleshoot, support and manage the day- to- day issues of voice mail in an enterprise environment.
- Solid understanding of the Cisco C series virtualization platform, with an understanding of virtualization, VMWare ESXI and virtualization strategies.
- Possesses subject matter expertise in various technologies such as: Cisco VOIP environment including Unified Contact Center Enterprise, Communications Manager, Unity Connection and Cisco ER as well as Voice Enable Gateways including H323 and SIP configured.
- A deep familiarity with cloud-based phone solutions.
- Excellent planning, coordination and communications skills.
- An openness to see problems or issues from various angles and a willingness to discuss and vet solutions until a common goal or idea is agreed upon.
- Strong understanding of Cisco voice environment architecture from the endpoints to the Call Control level of Unified Communications Manager.
- Proven experience in creating successful designs, development and implementation of high availability systems, applications and related products.
- Excellent problem solving and decision-making skills.
- Highly self-motivated and self-directed with a keen attention to detail and willingness to assume responsibility.
- Ability to interpret complex technical information.
- Provide a positive example to students by supporting the University’s Doctrinal Statement, Ethical Position Statement and Mission of Grand Canyon University
At Grand Canyon Education, it is our privilege to serve students and those who support academic advancement. We lead educational transformation by developing superior ways to help schools grow and prosper. We provide transparent programs, intuitive online learning technologies and well-established academic models that promote student success and institutional growth.
Employment is contingent upon the satisfactory outcome (as determined by the university) of pre-employment screening activities, including a background check.
For assistance with your job application please use our External Candidate Job Application Guide.
All staff candidates will be asked to review GCE’s staff expectations as part of the application process.
Our partner in education, Grand Canyon University, is Arizona’s premier private Christian university. GCU serves traditional and online students by offering quality academic degree programs, experienced leadership and transformative learning experiences both on our growing campus and digitally.