Back End Web Development Manager
Grand Canyon Education (GCE) is an educational service company that provides an array of support services in the post-secondary education sector. Formerly part of Grand Canyon University (GCU), GCE still supports and works closely with GCU. GCE designs and develops educational programs for GCU and other traditional campus institutions, as well as online partner institutions at the undergraduate, graduate and doctoral levels.
Grand Canyon Education is seeking a Back End Web Development manger to join their Marketing Team. This position directs a team of back-end developers to execute all projects for web enhancements resulting in improved user experiences, increased rankings and overall implementation of web marketing plans which support clients’ total marketing strategy. This role operates in a performance based metric driven marketing department to ensure department services meet the client’s marketing objectives and performance metrics.
- Directly oversees team of backend developers, ensures quality of work as it relates to deliverables, core functionality and project scope.
- Collaborates with the Business Analyst on execution and delivery of back-end development projects and deliverables while ensuring clear two-way communication of project expectations and requirements.
- Collaborates with Web Design Manager on technical feasibility and strategy in implementation of user interface and user experience designs.
- Collaborates with Front-End Development manager on strategy in implementation of front-end code into existing application and creation of required API’s and web services.
- Authors new back-end systems with a meticulous focus on maintainability and performance while also reviewing work done by development team ensuring a consistent level of quality and attention to detail is being delivered and upheld across team members.
- Embraces change and strongly supports the idea and concept of continuous, life-time learning where it relates to web functionality and performance while instilling this focus and drive across direct reports.
- Embraces forward thinking, cutting edge solutions through modeling concepts in solution design and development meetings
- Implements and maintains back-end development practices and procedures
- Reviews and analyzes current web functionality and recommends and executes improvements; documents and updates all operational processes to ensure team follows best practices.
- Responsible for continuously analyzing and auditing the back-end development process for improvement; makes sound, logical recommendations and executes approved recommendations timely.
- Responsible for understanding and analyzing effectiveness of overall business objectives and the technical implementation of partners’ marketing websites and web applications with the goal of performance optimization and improving user experience.
- Manages the relationship between the Student Agency and the Back-End Development Team.
- Conducts training sessions with the Student Agency to teach and mentor them on best practices in back-end development.
- Drives innovation by taking calculated risks in web development.
- Liaises with IT in the development of automation and orchestration of the physical Linux environment to support the marketing websites.
- Leads project planning and execution throughout the entire application development lifecycle.
- Ensures all projects meet required functionality with reusable code and ensures update and maintenance of new libraries with a focus on future reusability.
- Ensures test automation scripts used in verifying conformity of code meets functional requirements, web standards, and accessibility standards
- Ensures project design documentation accurately represents clients’ objectives/needs and solution is aligned with architectural best practices in coding and design.
- Ensures the release of products meets agreed deadline, meets quality standards, and ensures all stakeholders are aware of release dates.
- Ability to identify, coach and take corrective action on lower performing team members with an overall goal of developing a high-performance team
- Consistently holds team meetings and individual one-on-one meetings
- Maintains development and documentation standards and establishes standardizations and policies across the development team
- Establishes strong relationship with other digital managers across teams to ensure solid communication and understanding across complex problems and solutions
- Oversees projects to backend development team and tracking progress of work, making corrections where necessary with strong focus on meeting deadlines and project objectives
- Provides annual assessments on team performance
- Bachelor’s degree in a related discipline (computer science, information technology, etc.) from a regionally accredited institution and minimum of 5 years’ experience building web applications.
- The following experience may be substituted for education requirements:
- 3 years’ work experience building web applications with an unrelated bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution.
- 4 years’ work experience building web applications with an associate degree from an accredited institution.
- 4+ years’ experience using PHP and MySQL to build dynamic websites or web applications.
- 2+ years’ experience with Symfony or Laravel frameworks.
- 2+ years’ experience working on a team using agile methodologies.
- 2+ years’ experience working on a team utilizing GIT for source code management.
- Previous management experience leading and developing high-performance teams preferred.
- Strong knowledge of object-oriented PHP programming and generic object-oriented principles.
- Strong knowledge of one or more PHP frameworks such as Symfony 2+ and/or Laravel.
- Solid understanding of architectural patterns such as MVC, Onion and Hexagonal.
- Proficiency with using and creating MySQL databases and SQL syntax.
- Familiarity with user authentication and authorization between multiple systems, servers, and environments.
- Proficiency using GIT for source code management.
- Proficiency at using browser development tools within each major browser.
- Solid understanding and experience in application security from the web service and web application perspective.
- In-depth knowledge of internet protocols.
- Solid understanding of Linux operating systems, Linux command line and bash scripting.
- Strong team player; able to facilitate and participate in project/department meetings through initiating ideas, problem solving techniques and providing sound feedback to assist the delivery of quality work.
- Good problem solving and decision-making skills.
- Possesses strong time management and organizational skills.
- Ability to think analytically and abstractly.
- Ability to analyze and break down complex business processes.
- Provide a positive example to students by supporting the University’s Doctrinal Statement, Ethical Position Statement and Mission of Grand Canyon University.
At Grand Canyon Education, it is our privilege to serve students and those who support academic advancement. We lead educational transformation by developing superior ways to help schools grow and prosper. We provide transparent programs, intuitive online learning technologies and well-established academic models that promote student success and institutional growth.
Employment is contingent upon the satisfactory outcome (as determined by the university) of pre-employment screening activities, including a background check.
For assistance with your job application please use our External Candidate Job Application Guide.
All staff candidates will be asked to review GCE’s staff expectations as part of the application process.
Our partner in education, Grand Canyon University, is Arizona’s premier private Christian university. GCU serves traditional and online students by offering quality academic degree programs, experienced leadership and transformative learning experiences both on our growing campus and digitally.