Back End Web Development Manager - Remote
Grand Canyon Education (GCE) is a rapidly growing educational service company that has long been an industry leader in providing educational, operational and technological support services to the post-secondary education sector. Formerly part of Grand Canyon University (GCU), GCE still works closely with GCU to benefit thousands of students, families and the local inner-city community. We put people first, drive innovation, and do good in the community that we live and work in.
Grand Canyon Education is seeking a Back End Web Development manager to join their Marketing Team. This position directs a team of back-end developers to execute all projects for web enhancements resulting in improved user experiences, increased rankings and overall implementation of web marketing plans which support clients’ total marketing strategy. This role operates in a performance based metric driven marketing department to ensure department services meet the client’s marketing objectives and performance metrics.
What You Will Do:
- Leadership: Directly oversees team of backend developers, ensuring timeliness and quality of work as it relates to project deliverables. Foster and sustain a meticulous focus on maintainability and performance by reviewing work done by development team ensuring a consistent level of quality and attention to detail is being delivered and upheld across team members. Continuously review and analyze the back-end development process for improvement, making sound, logical recommendations and executing approved recommendations.
- Collaboration: Business Analyst on execution and delivery of back-end development projects and deliverables while ensuring clear two-way communication of project expectations and requirements. Front-End Development manager on strategy in implementation of front-end code into existing application and creation of required API’s and web services.
- Project Management: Ensures all projects meet required functionality and development timelines, while maintaining a focus on reusable code. Ensures project design documentation accurately represents clients’ objectives/needs and solution is aligned with architectural best practices in coding and design. Oversees projects assigned to backend development team and tracking progress of work, making corrections where necessary with strong focus on meeting deadlines and project objectives
- Supervisory Responsibilities: Ability to identify, coach and take corrective action on lower performing team members with an overall goal of developing a high-performance team. Consistently holds team meetings and individual one-on-one meetings. Maintains development and documentation standards and establishes standardizations and policies across the development team. Establishes strong relationship with other digital managers across teams to ensure solid communication and understanding across complex problems and solutions. Provides annual assessments on team performance
What You Will Have:
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in a related discipline (computer science, information technology, etc.) from a regionally accredited institution and minimum of 5 years’ experience building web applications.
- Experience (may be substituted for education): 3 years’ work experience building web applications with an unrelated bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution. 4 years’ work experience building web applications with an associate degree from an accredited institution.
- 4+ years’ experience using PHP and MySQL to build dynamic websites or web applications.
- 2+ years’ experience with Laravel framework.
- Previous management experience leading and developing high-performance teams preferred.
- Proficiency using GIT for source code management.