Admissions Counselor- Traditional Ground Campus
Grand Canyon Education, formerly part of Grand Canyon University, became its own entity in July 2018 after the HLC approved GCU’s application to become a nonprofit institution. GCE will work in close partnership with GCU. Moreover, many positions with GCE are located on GCU’s main campus.
Grand Canyon University is currently seeking an Admissions Counselor for our Traditional Ground Campus. The primary role of an admissions counselor is to counsel, enroll and retain qualified students into GCU’s ground campus degree programs through phone contact and occasional in-person contact.
This position is based on our Main Campus and will support remote territories outside of AZ; travel will be required. All candidates hired for this role are encouraged to promote into a University Admissions Counselor (UAC) role after successfully completing six months of employment.
- Develops and executes a phone campaign strategy to increase GCU’s awareness in the assigned geographic area as well as achieving required student count by following up on marketing generated prospective students.
- Contacts inquiring prospects via the telephone in a timely manner, informing them about the University and its programs.
- Creates and maintains accurate contact history in GCU provided technology for each potential student; able to manage potential and current student database.
- Determines if the University has a program that will meet the prospect’s needs through listening, recognizing and considering the needs of the prospect and GCU’s degrees.
- Discusses payment options and answers questions to help the prospective student and/or parents make an informed decision about paying for college.
- Able to communicate GCU’s value proposition to prospects in a professional and academically oriented manner.
- Will be required to travel as requested to cover territories (which may not be part of assignment) which involves participating in events and making presentations to potential students and their parents.
- Adjusts strategies, presentations, and information packets to address prospective student’s career/personal interests and parents’ needs.
- Builds reputation as a Subject Matter Expert for assigned territory and GCU’s higher education programs. Is point of contact for students to rely upon throughout the admissions process including application, admission, tuition/financial aid, registration and nurturing student through first three weeks’ of class.
- Demonstrates in daily work activities the incorporation of new information/learnings and processes into counseling conversations with potential students.
- Discusses counseling and database/territory management strategies with management to ensure such strategies will assist in meeting job expectations.
- In collaboration with other University colleagues or management, builds a territory marketing plan once student counts meet a threshold to promote the Colleges’ programs to constituents.
- Facilitates the distribution of informational materials through all appropriate channels within a territory.
- Collaborates effectively with all GCU personnel to enable seamless admissions processes.
- Serves as a member of a graduation team and ensures student needs are met and addressed in a timely manner.
- Serves as the primary point of contact for enrolled students and ensures they are utilizing all the GCU resources that are available to them.
- Consistently creates a positive admissions experience for students.
- Consistently demonstrates enthusiasm and advocacy for GCU in all interactions.
- Provides excellent customer service (internally and externally) in all interactions by maintaining a pleasant and upbeat presence/tone in all interactions, returning phone calls, texts and emails received during business hours the same day (Service Guarantee).
- Achieves daily, weekly and monthly goals as defined by management.
- Maintains professional appearance and interacts cooperatively with others.
- Adheres to established compliance guidelines.
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and demonstrated ability to adapt communication style to audience and presentation information in a manner that gets others’ attention.
- Ability to prioritize daily activities, manage time effectively and meet deadlines accordingly.
- Strong interpersonal skills with strong constituency building skill.
- Willingness to build/refine skills in marketing and territory development.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and work well with changing priorities and situations.
- Comfortable in making presentations to a group of prospective students and parents about GCU.
- Able to work independently without daily oversight of counseling activities.
- Ability to identify potential objections/issues and develop informed responses to potential students/parents to assist with their decision making process.
- Ability to analyze potential obstacles/issues and develop recommendations to discuss with manager to meet job expectations.
- Maintains a high familiarity with standard concepts, practices, and procedures of relationship building and quality customer service.
- Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; supports and explains reasons for decisions; understands business implication for decisions.
- Knowledge of higher-learning environments and programs.
- Computer/office software proficiency including MS Office Suite.
- Willingness to travel by car and/or plane during weekdays; may require overnight stay and/or occasional weekend travel. Travel requirement of no more than 20%.
- Must be available to work varied hours, including evenings and weekends consistently.
- Must have own vehicle, valid driver's license, clean driving record.
- Cannot be delinquent or in default on a federal student loan as verified in your credit report. If in a rehabilitation program, your credit report must reflect that you are current, not delinquent, on your payments.
- Provide a positive example to students by supporting the University’s Doctrinal Statement, Ethical Position Statement and Mission of Grand Canyon University.
At Grand Canyon Education, it is our privilege to serve students and those who support academic advancement. We lead educational transformation by developing superior ways to help schools grow and prosper. We provide transparent programs, intuitive online learning technologies and well-established academic models that promote student success and institutional growth.
Employment is contingent upon the satisfactory outcome (as determined by the university) of pre-employment screening activities, including a background check.
Only candidates who submit a resume and complete the full application will be considered - anyone without a resume will be declined automatically. For assistance with your job application please use our External Candidate Job Application Guide.
All staff candidates will be asked to review GCE’s staff expectations as part of the application process.
Our partner in education, Grand Canyon University, is Arizona’s premier private Christian university. GCU serves traditional and online students by offering quality academic degree programs, experienced leadership and transformative learning experiences both on our growing campus and digitally.
If you’re interested in working for Grand Canyon University, visit jobs.gcu.edu.
For more information about Grand Canyon Education, Inc., visit gce.com
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: R000023102