Admissions Counselor- Special Operations- Traditional Ground Campus
Grand Canyon Education (GCE) is an educational service company that provides an array of support services in the post-secondary education sector. Formerly part of Grand Canyon University (GCU), GCE still supports and works closely with GCU. GCE designs and develops educational programs for GCU and other traditional campus institutions, as well as online partner institutions at the undergraduate, graduate and doctoral levels.
Grand Canyon University is currently seeking an Admissions Counselor for the Special Operations team for our Traditional Ground Campus. The primary role of an Admissions Counselor is to counsel, enroll and retain qualified students into GCU’s Ground Campus degree programs through phone and email contact.
Working over the phone in a fast-paced team environment, this position is based on our Main Campus and will support the Ground Admissions department’s student recruitment efforts. All candidates hired for this role are encouraged to promote into a University Admissions Counselor (UAC) role after successfully completing six months of employment.
- Develops and executes a phone campaign strategy to increase GCU’s awareness in the assigned geographic area as well as achieving required student count by following up on marketing generated prospective students.
- Communicates with inquiring prospects via outbound and inbound call contact in a timely manner, informing them about the University and its programs (3+ hours talk time and at least 100 dials per day).
- Creates and maintains accurate contact history in GCU provided technology for each potential student; able to manage potential and current student database.
- Determines if the University has a program that will meet the prospect’s needs through listening, recognizing and considering the needs of the prospect and GCU’s degrees.
- Discusses payment options and answers questions to help the prospective student and/or parents make an informed decision about paying for college.
- Able to communicate GCU’s value proposition to prospects in a professional and academically oriented manner.
- May be required to travel, on a limited basis, as requested to cover events and making presentations to potential students and their parents.
- Adjusts strategies, and information packets to address prospective student’s career/personal interests and parents’ needs.
- Builds reputation as a Subject Matter Expert for admissions and GCU’s higher education programs. Is point of contact for students to rely upon throughout the admissions process including application, admission, tuition/financial aid, registration and nurturing student through first three weeks’ of class.
- Demonstrates in daily work activities the incorporation of new information/learnings and processes into counseling conversations with potential students.
- Discusses counseling and database management strategies with management to ensure such strategies will assist in meeting job expectations.
- Collaborates effectively with all GCU personnel to enable seamless admissions processes.
- Serves as a member of a graduation team and ensures student needs are met and addressed in a timely manner.
- Serves as the primary point of contact for enrolled students and ensures they are utilizing all the GCU resources that are available to them.
- Consistently creates a positive admissions experience for students.
- Consistently demonstrates enthusiasm and advocacy for GCU in all interactions.
- Provides excellent customer service (internally and externally) in all interactions by maintaining a pleasant and upbeat presence/tone in all interactions, returning phone calls, texts and emails received during business hours the same day (Service Guarantee).
- Achieves daily, weekly and monthly goals as defined by management.
- Maintains professional appearance and interacts cooperatively with others.
- Adheres to established compliance guidelines.
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and demonstrated ability to adapt communication style to audience and present information in a manner that gets others’ attention.
- Ability to prioritize daily activities, manage time effectively and meet deadlines accordingly.
- Strong interpersonal skills with strong constituency building skill.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and work well with changing priorities and situations.
- Comfortable in making phone presentations to prospective students and parents about GCU.
- Able to work independently without daily oversight of counseling activities.
- Ability to identify potential objections/issues and develop informed responses to potential students/parents to assist with their decision making process.
- Ability to analyze potential obstacles/issues and develop recommendations to discuss with manager to meet job expectations.
- Maintains a high familiarity with standard concepts, practices, and procedures of relationship building and quality customer service.
- Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; supports and explains reasons for decisions; understands business implication for decisions.
- Knowledge of higher-learning environments and programs.
- Computer/office software proficiency including MS Office Suite.
- Willingness to travel by car during weekdays; and/or weekend on a very limited basis, if at all. Travel requirement of no more than 10%.
- Must be available to work varied hours, including evenings and weekends consistently.
- Must have own vehicle, valid driver's license, clean driving record.
- Cannot be delinquent or in default on a federal student loan as verified in your credit report. If in a rehabilitation program, your credit report must reflect that you are current, not delinquent, on your payments.
- Provide a positive example to students by supporting the University’s Doctrinal Statement, Ethical Position Statement and Mission of Grand Canyon University.
At Grand Canyon Education, it is our privilege to serve students and those who support academic advancement. We lead educational transformation by developing superior ways to help schools grow and prosper. We provide transparent programs, intuitive online learning technologies and well-established academic models that promote student success and institutional growth.
Employment is contingent upon the satisfactory outcome (as determined by the university) of pre-employment screening activities, including a background check.
For assistance with your job application please use our External Candidate Job Application Guide.
All staff candidates will be asked to review GCE’s staff expectations as part of the application process.
Our partner in education, Grand Canyon University, is Arizona’s premier private Christian university. GCU serves traditional and online students by offering quality academic degree programs, experienced leadership and transformative learning experiences both on our growing campus and digitally.
If you’re interested in working for Grand Canyon University, visit jobs.gcu.edu.
For more information about Grand Canyon Education, Inc., visit gce.com