Grand Canyon Education (GCE) is an educational service company that provides an array of support services in the post-secondary education sector. Formerly part of Grand Canyon University (GCU), GCE still supports and works closely with GCU. GCE designs and develops educational programs for GCU and other traditional campus institutions, as well as online partner institutions at the undergraduate, graduate and doctoral levels.
Grand Canyon Education’s Accounting department is seeking a full time Accountant. Working independently and without consistent direction, responsible for analyzing and verifying revenue and revenue exceptions from a variety of operational sources, reconciliations, revenue expense entries, and meeting financial schedules occurring weekly, monthly, quarterly and annually.
- Manage department cards (ensuring proper approval for requests, loading funds, creating usage reports).
- Reconcile publishing invoices to student rosters.
- Creates and runs reports to identify revenue exceptions in the student information and management system for analysis, evaluation and resolution.
- Creates and runs operational reporting such as bad debt, flash reports, and others as needed.
- Manage and reconcile the application of all external scholarship including investigation of resolution of discrepancies.
- Management of outside scholarship payments including application to student account and communication with external entities.
- Serve as backup for daily cash deposit when needed.
- Manual posting of all journal entries into the GL.
- Creates and/or runs monthly reports via the University’s student information and management system.
- Calculates and enters the revenue related expense entries from a variety of operational sources.
- Gathers, analyzes and prepares student data from the student information and management system to create journal entries.
- Provides financial analysis and financial metrics to management which may include the use of the student information and management system, spreadsheets and other databases and reports as applicable.
- Conducts monthly account reconciliations for accounts such as accounts receivable, allowance for students’ dining dollars and other food service as applicable.
- Assists with the preparation and analysis of audit requests.
- Tests, analyzes and reconciles aging by student type and program to include current, past due, delinquent, delinquent assigned to collections and others as applicable.
- Responds to requests from campus management or administrators for financial information and questions as necessary.
- Assistance in department as necessary to include tasks such as data entry or repetitive processes.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, accounting or a related discipline from a regionally accredited institution.
- One years’ work experience with auditing, accounting, finance or student accounting in higher education.
- Work experience in higher education is preferred.
- An equivalent combination of relevant work experience and education may be substituted upon supervisor’s approval.
- Knowledge of accounting principles and practices, analyses and reporting of financial data.
- Knowledgeable of GAAP and GASB.
- Good communications and interpersonal skills with the ability to work effectively with people of diverse cultural backgrounds and with persons at all levels including executives, managers and staff.
- Strong analytical skills with high attention to detail.
- Ability to apply logic and solve problems and seek out and identify creative solutions.
- Intermediate proficiency in MS Excel including PivotTables and advanced formulas.
- Proficiency with other MS Office Suite products.
- Proficient with accounting/financial management systems.
- Ability to work effectively with diverse groups.
- Knowledge and familiarity with student information and management systems is preferred.
- Provide a positive example to students by supporting the University’s Doctrinal Statement, Ethical Position Statement and Mission of Grand Canyon University.
At Grand Canyon Education, it is our privilege to serve students and those who support academic advancement. We lead educational transformation by developing superior ways to help schools grow and prosper. We provide transparent programs, intuitive online learning technologies and well-established academic models that promote student success and institutional growth.
Employment is contingent upon the satisfactory outcome (as determined by the university) of pre-employment screening activities, including a background check.
For assistance with your job application please use our External Candidate Job Application Guide.
All staff candidates will be asked to review GCE’s staff expectations as part of the application process.
Our partner in education, Grand Canyon University, is Arizona’s premier private Christian university. GCU serves traditional and online students by offering quality academic degree programs, experienced leadership and transformative learning experiences both on our growing campus and digitally.