Grand Canyon Education, formerly part of Grand Canyon University, became its own entity in July 2018 after the Higher Learning Commission approved GCU’s application to become a nonprofit institution. GCE will work in close partnership with GCU. Moreover, many positions with GCE are located on GCU’s main campus.
Grand Canyon Education’s Accounting department is seeking a full time Accountant. This individual will be responsible for analyzing and verifying revenue and revenue exceptions from a variety of operational sources, reconciliations, revenue expense entries, conducting audits, meeting financial reporting needs on agreed upon scheduled basis (monthly, daily, etc.). Adheres to accepted financial/accounting practices and principles for all transactions.
- Creates and runs reports to identify revenue exceptions in the student information and management system for analysis, evaluation and resolution.
- Conducts straight-line revenue analysis including evaluation of accounts with variances and manages revenue amortizations.
- Creates and runs operational reporting as needed, e.g., bad debt.
- Student account reconciliations to include cash, accounts receivable and deferral accounts as part of the general ledger accounting responsibility.
- Manage and reconcile the application of all external scholarship including investigation of resolution of discrepancies.
- Conducts revenue exception and straight-line analyses.
- Identifies issues/anomalies, investigates and resolves.
- Runs and reviews the revenue recognition process and submits to general ledger accounting team.
- Creates and/or runs monthly reports via the University’s student information and management system.
- Calculates and enters the revenue related expense entries from a variety of operational sources.
- Gathers, analyzes and prepares student data from the student information and management system to create journal entries.
- Provides both current and historical financial data which may involve preparing overall summary dashboard metrics for internal finance and accounting team members/management.
- Conducts monthly account reconciliations for accounts such as accounts receivable, allowance for doubtful accounts, revenue and related deferrals, tuition discounts, liabilities, student insurance, students’ dining dollars, GL accounts, and analyzing manual ledger entries, and others as applicable.
- Assists with audit requests which may involve pulling of data, review of entries, etc.
- Tests, analyzes and reconciles aging by student type and program to include current, past due, delinquent, delinquent assigned to collections and others as applicable.
- Assists in the year-end financial closing preparation regarding student accounts
- Assists in developing effective internal controls.
- Assists with data retrieval and analysis as requested through department head
- Bachelor’s degree in business or finance with minimum of two year’s professional experience in relevant accounting, finance or audit business unit preferred
- Experience in student accounting unit in higher education preferred
- Must have a least three years’ of full time professional experience in accounting or auditing if does not have bachelor’s degree in accounting or minimum of 60 credits towards accounting degree
- Working knowledge of accounting principles and practices, analyses and reporting of financial data.
- Knowledgeable of general accepted accounting principles(GAAP)
- Knowledgeable of methods and techniques of general ledger reconciliation.
- Working knowledge of MS Office Suite products.
- Knowledge of computerized information systems used in financial and/or accounting applications.
- Ability to complete detailed accounting transactions
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists
- Ability to communicate and work effectively with people of diverse cultural backgrounds and at all organizational levels.
- Ability to analyze and interpret financial data and prepare financial reports.
- Ability to perform a variety of mathematical calculations quickly and accurately
- Ability to apply logic and solve problems and seek out and identify creative solutions.
- Intermediate proficiency in MS Excel such as ability to create Pivot Tables and complex formulas for financial analysis
- Provide a positive example to students by supporting the University’s Doctrinal Statement, Ethical Position Statement and Mission of Grand Canyon University
At Grand Canyon Education, it is our privilege to serve students and those who support academic advancement. We lead educational transformation by developing superior ways to help schools grow and prosper. We provide transparent programs, intuitive online learning technologies and well-established academic models that promote student success and institutional growth.
Employment is contingent upon the satisfactory outcome (as determined by the university) of pre-employment screening activities, including a background check.
Only candidates who submit a resume and complete the full application will be considered - anyone without a resume will be declined automatically. For assistance with your job application please use our External Candidate Job Application Guide.
All staff candidates will be asked to review GCE’s staff expectations as part of the application process.
Our partner in education, Grand Canyon University, is Arizona’s premier private Christian university. GCU serves traditional and online students by offering quality academic degree programs, experienced leadership and transformative learning experiences both on our growing campus and digitally.
If you’re interested in working for Grand Canyon University, visit jobs.gcu.edu.
For more information about Grand Canyon Education, Inc., visit gce.com
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: R000018521-1