Grand Canyon Education (GCE) is an educational service company that provides an array of support services in the post-secondary education sector. Formerly part of Grand Canyon University (GCU), GCE still supports and works closely with GCU. GCE designs and develops educational programs for GCU and other traditional campus institutions, as well as online partner institutions at the undergraduate, graduate and doctoral levels.
Grand Canyon Education is seeking a full-time Accountant I. Working under general direction, the Accountant I is responsible for maintaining and reconciling assigned general ledger and bank accounts. The Accountant I also creates and maintains schedules, processes journal entries and reconciles accounts for the monthly accounting close and financial reporting.
Include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Gathers information, researches, maintains schedules and creates entries in general ledger and subsidiary systems within defined time frames in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and company policies, including identifying applicable capital and expense amounts.
- Verifies and analyzes requests for entries from other departments, determining and recording proper entries.
- Reconciles general ledger balance sheet accounts on a monthly basis and resolves discrepancies as needed.
- Prepares reports of a financial nature as assigned.
- Prepares requested schedules and documentation to support internal and external audits.
- Maintains a thorough understanding of GAAP and relevant internal financial policies, accounting and analytical systems, and business process.
- Constructs spreadsheet applications for preparation, analyzation, and reporting of financial data.
- Performs intermediate level financial calculations including amortization, depreciation, tax liabilities, and cost variances as required
- Bachelor’s degree in business, accounting, or related discipline from an accredited institution.
- Experience with Great Plains or similar software is preferred, but not required.
- An equivalent combination of relevant work experience and education may be substituted upon supervisor’s approval.
- Knowledge of accounting principles and practices, analyses and reporting of financial data in compliance with GAAP.
- Good communications and interpersonal skills with the ability to work effectively with people of diverse cultural backgrounds and with persons at all levels including executives, managers and staff.
- Strong analytical skills with high attention to detail.
- Ability to apply logic and solve problems and seek out and identify creative solutions.
- Intermediate proficiency in MS Excel including PivotTables and advanced formulas.
- Proficiency with other MS Office Suite products.
- Must pass pre-employment investigations.
- Provide a positive example to students by supporting the University’s Doctrinal Statement, Ethical Position Statement and Mission of Grand Canyon University.
At Grand Canyon Education, it is our privilege to serve students and those who support academic advancement. We lead educational transformation by developing superior ways to help schools grow and prosper. We provide transparent programs, intuitive online learning technologies and well-established academic models that promote student success and institutional growth.
Employment is contingent upon the satisfactory outcome (as determined by the university) of pre-employment screening activities, including a background check.
For assistance with your job application please use our External Candidate Job Application Guide.
All staff candidates will be asked to review GCE’s staff expectations as part of the application process.
Our partner in education, Grand Canyon University, is Arizona’s premier private Christian university. GCU serves traditional and online students by offering quality academic degree programs, experienced leadership and transformative learning experiences both on our growing campus and digitally.